On Speed - dial up connection enhancer

Blake 20:04 20 May 05

Has anybody had any experience of downloading and using the On Speed package for speeding up a dial-up connection? - does it work?

Is there any problems (or advantages) if Broadband is installed at a later date?

Doug S 20:13 20 May 05

A friend has installed this on his dial up connection it AT LEAST doubles the speed, often up to the figures quoted by On Speed so seems a worthwhile investment.
Broadband - I don't know.

rômanab 20:15 20 May 05

If you are with Tiscali and ,I think, BT you can get it for free.

Tiscali call it "Internet accelerator"

rômanab 20:17 20 May 05

Sorry, should have been "Tiscali accelerator"

GANDALF <|:-)> 21:00 20 May 05

Then forum search is a wonderful beast.......click here

The general consensus is that it does not really work and there are free programmes that use the same principal. The chances of it working on BB are de nada.

Buchan 35 22:22 20 May 05

I`ve had OnSpeed for 4 or 5 months and at first it was totally negative, but at different times of the day it is much faster than dial-up. It all depends on what you expect from it. If you want fast downloads forget it. Fast access to web sites may work, again looking at time of day.On that subject, evening is bad. Hope I`ve helped a bit and made your decision easier.

Mr Beeline 22:25 20 May 05

I've used ONSPEED on a dial-up connection for a while (several months) and I would say that on average "it does what it says on the box".

IE. Internet browsing is speeded up by about 4/5 times.

It should be pointed out though, that it "only" speeds up WEB browsing. Downloading of files etc. it has no effect on.

and on the subject of downloading files with ONSPEED... I should also point out that if downloading a file (EG. anti-virus signature updates), it tends to bring your WEB browsing to it's knees (this has been commented on in a couple of the other forums that I lurk on). Must be something to do with the fact that you are obviously being re-routed via a proxy server. Though I'm sure there's a technical explanation somewhere

So.... for WEB browsing, I would say "yes" it does improve things by a noticable amount.

But... with Broadband getting so cheap, that's really got to be the way to go.

I upgraded to PIPEX broadband (just the 256kbps unlimited service, as that's fast enough for WEB browsing. Local exchange only just enabled). And as my ONSPEED subscription still has a way to go, I left it on and "YES" it does work with broadbad. Though only appears to speed it up by about 3 times (according to the ONSPEED stats). Though I would make the same comment about WEB browsing and downloading files at the same time, as I did for dial-up.

Go on... broadband... you know it makes sense.

Buchan 35 22:32 20 May 05

Another option is a good Optimiser Suite.I paid about £13.99 for Ashampoo Win Optimiser Platinum 2 suite and everything has been OK. I`m not yet on BB and am wondering whether it`s worth the extra shekels. I think not at the moment. Loads of luck mate

Praxis99 22:54 20 May 05

Having cancelled my BB contact with my old ISP I have been using Tiscali Dial Up while I sort a new BB connection in what is without doubt a buyers market.

Tiscali uses Onspeed tech which it rebrands as Tiscali Accelerator and for browsing web pages it works very well. However as for downloading after using BB its like going back to the dark ages and the sooner I have a new 2 MB connection set up the better!

GANDALF <|:-)> 09:35 21 May 05

I'm sure that someone posted the 'tweak' that Onspeed uses and it costs nothing, I await their reply;-))

Tycho 09:44 21 May 05

I have fond that ONspeed really comes into its own when downloading graphics heavey pages like the virtual cruises on the Pennine Waterways site, and for looking at the goods on some online catalogues.

I have found it really works and is worth the apprax £2 per month. In the past 4 months 1 week and 16 hours it tells me that it has saved 1hour and 49 minutes Original data: 104MB, Compreesed Data: 69MB and Speed increase 1.5. I rather think that the speed increase is better than that when using graphics heavy web pages, though.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…