//some 3rd party need geo

On speed .com

Macnut 11:34 30 Jan 05

Does any one if onspeed.com is worth using?

johnnyrocker 11:38 30 Jan 05

click here for isp comparisons.

johnny.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:43 30 Jan 05

This works by compressing the data that you're downloading, so it doesn't actually speed up the connection at all.

matt1234 12:58 30 Jan 05

i used it when i had dial up and it was very good BUT it only speeds up the connection on webpages not things like online gaming!!!

GRFT 13:35 30 Jan 05

It isn't perfect by any means, but it's certainly an improvement on the regular dial-up connection. When it goes down, (not very often I hasten to add) my connection becomes unbearably slow. Downloading isn't all that quicker, I agree, but then I don't do a lot of that.

pj123 14:17 30 Jan 05

I am on Broadband at 750 - 1mb so I wouldn't want to try Onspeed. From what I have read (including a half page ad in my Sunday paper today) it appears to be another gimmick. OK so it is only costing about £2 per month but if you are on PAYG dialup and your monthly bill is around/or more than about £15 per month you would be better off getting Broadband anyway. Regardless of how quick Onspeed works you still can't use your phone on dialup if you are connected to the Internet. Whereas, with BB you can be connected to the internet and still use your phone.

bremner 15:07 30 Jan 05

It is unfair to call Onspeed a gimmick, it did receive a Gold Award when it was reviewed in PCA.

But pj123 other comments are very valid. With BB now available at nearly the same price as unlimited dial up, Onspeeds appeal is very much limited to those who still do not have the option of BB.

pj123 17:28 30 Jan 05

bremner, OK I retract the statement "gimmick". But from the other postings on this thread, does it really do what it says it does?

Quote, Dialup 5x faster, BB 3x faster.

The only examples they quote are:

click here with Onspeed 4 seconds, without Onspeed 16 seconds.

click here with Onspeed 3.8 seconds, without Onspeed 12 seconds.

click here with Onspeed 5 seconds, without Onspeed 14 seconds.

That is only opening web pages. What would they quote to download say, a 35mb file. The website where this free download is available give a download time of 110 minutes if you are on dialup.
What does Onspeed do?

Stuartli 18:03 30 Jan 05

If you key in OnSpeed into the forum search box you'll find numerous threads on the subject, plus a registry tweak I've highlighted that does pretty much the same thing for nothing from The Scream website.

Buchan 35 18:42 30 Jan 05

I`ve got On-speed because we can`t get BB in my area. pj123`s comment is valid in the respect
that it`s now faster for me to get to web pages but once I`m on EG PCA`s front page it can take ages to get to this forum.If I only want front pages I enjoy about 65% of the standard BB speed.
So to me it`s value for money for the first year of contract, after that who knows?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…