speed

jeronimmo 11:33 19 Jun 03

I have a fairly old Time 366-2 3D PC with 366MHz 3D processor. (W98) It was reputed at the time it was manufactured to be fast, but now being used to using other PC's I find it increasingly frustrating in its slowness. I think its days are numbered and am planning to replace it. What should I be looking for regrding speed please?

Totally-braindead 12:02 19 Jun 03

The faster you wish to go the more it costs. Personally I like AMD merely because they're so much cheaper than their Intel counterparts. I'd go for a MINIMUM AMD 2000+, and I mean minimum, these retail for around £60 now with their heatsink and fan, if you can afford more then all the better. Have a look at the websites and you'll see the way the prices work, they go fairly steadily up until you get a fairly high price hike as you reach the newer faster processors. I prefer to spend the cash saved by not buying the latest processor on a decent motherboard, graphics card, hard drive and memory. Try to get a motherboard which will take a faster processor than you wish to install at the moment, this will allow you to upgrade, if you wish, in a year or two to a faster processor.

Peverelli 12:06 19 Jun 03

Extra RAM is the cheapest way to increase speed. How much have you got? I used to have a 233MHz CPU and when I increased RAM from 32MB to 128MB the computer seemed to run at more than double the speed. As for processor speed, it depends on what you use your computer for. If it's for games or music then go for the fastest you can afford. Look at the PCA chart and you'll see they've got a Mesh Matrix at No.1 with Athlon 2600+ CPU and 512MB DDR RAM for £821 (inc VAT). If the PC is for more general use then you'll notice a big difference with, say, 1500MHz. It may be an option to go for a base unit with tower, motherboard, PSU, CPU and fan and then cannibalise your old PC for the HD, CDROM, floppy and monitor etc.

Ali-232430 12:22 19 Jun 03

Assuming you wanna stick to MS-Windows, then in the short term I'd agree Peverelli. I'm much more of a UNIX fan, and I use my PCs for non-gamer use, hence I would slap on the download version of Radhat Linux 8 or similar. Download OpenOffice and maybe pumb the memory up to a minimum 128K. Sorted.. but then maybe I'm a bit too "unix-geeky" :o)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now