Speed

JaneAttwood 14:04 17 May 09

How do I speed up my machine? Or do I mean my line?

bremner 14:18 17 May 09

You will need go be much more specific.

Do you mean your computer or your line.

Whichever you mean then telling us what you currently have in terms of CPU, Memory, HDD or BB package will mean an answer can be given

User-1229748 14:24 17 May 09

before the more clever peeps give you some advice what you don't want to be doing is paying for things like regcure and similar that will do absolutely nothing more than free programs and are more likely to bork your machine :o(

birdface 14:32 17 May 09

You could try winaso optimizer trial or free version.It will only repair 10 items at a time but you can run it as often as you like.

click here

Well worth a try.

Pineman100 14:47 17 May 09

smackheadz has given you good advice. Don't be tempted into downloading just any old software that purports to "speed up your computer free".

There are good ones and there are decidedly dodgy ones.

But you need to answer bremner's question before you can get any more specific advice - exactly what do you want to speed up? What are you finding slow?

Pineman100 14:48 17 May 09

No refelction on buteman - his suggestion is one of the good ones!

User-1229748 14:57 17 May 09

about your line speed if you go to a couple of speed test sites and post your results and as bremner says also tell us what broadband package you are on it'll show whether you are getting your expected speed.

JaneAttwood 15:22 17 May 09

ok - done that - it said my download speed was 0.5Mbps and my upload speed was 238kbps. I did a performance check at the same time and it offered me Uniblue Sytems download for free but I didn't do it because it said it might be dangerous. I am with tiscali.

What shall i do next?

How do I find the winaso optimizer?

rdave13 15:28 17 May 09

I wouldn't use any optimisers yet as it looks as it's an Internet Service Provider's (Tiscali) problem. What package are you on, up to 8 meg or under?

JaneAttwood 18:01 17 May 09

think i am on 256 kbps - is that a problem? had it forever

john bunyan 18:13 17 May 09

Would you mind saying who is your ISP and roughly how much you pay. rdave13 mentioned Tiscali - I am with their Pipex subsidiary and get between 3.9 to 6.9 Mbps for an up to 8 Mbps package. Would you mind saying who is your ISP and roughly how much you pay as 256kbps is slow these days.Would have thought you could negotiate a much faster deal.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5