speed

coubury 05:54 07 Mar 07

ok iv asked before about why my download speeds are slow im now using a internet download accelator and im happy with it as you can see from this pic im getting a speed of 800 kb/s not bad for an 8 meg line click here

now my question is regarding newsgroups as some may no this allows you to download at the highest availble s[eed from your isp but my higesht yet is 120 k/bs now it appears that bt havent throttled my connection as i got over 800 downloading as you seen in the pic

i have rang bt and they assured me nothing is wrong with the line no faults etc

my router is a bt vouager 2091 8 meg compatible

so why arent i getting the coreect speeds if i dont use that idm i get speds of maybe 30 kb/s

possibly is there somthing wrong with my pc? do i need to add drivers are what

can anyone help>?

Jackcoms 10:18 07 Mar 07

Download speeds depend on many factors, including:

Your distance from the local BT exchange

Local contention ratios

Time of day (later in the day, speeds are usually slower as the USA wakes up)

The condition of your copper wire.

Admittedly 800Kbps (I assume you mean kiloBITS)for an 8Mb connection is not good but all ADSL connections are supplied as "up to ....".

Try speed tests at various times of the day to get an overall/average picture click here

greenlamp 20:37 07 Mar 07

800 kbps!!!!, if it's that fast you can't be using Orange as your ISP

coubury 05:43 09 Mar 07

ok ran a speed test on the bt site but dont understand what this means

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
IP profile for your line is - 7150 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 8128 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 590 kbps

Dipso 08:20 09 Mar 07

Nothing wrong with your profile i.e. 7150, but that speed is dire for 5 o'clock in the morning as you shouldn't see contention at that time.

Have you exceeded any FUP or bandwidth allowance?

Are you tied into a contract?

Batch 09:12 09 Mar 07

I'd have assumed that the 807.378KB/sec is KiloBytes/sec which isn't bad at all (= 6459 kilobits/sec).

To avoid any ambiguity why not try one of the independent speed testers like:

click here

click here

The speed with newsgroups could just be to do with the speed of / load on the newsgroup servers. Nothing you can do about that.

TonyV 13:55 18 Jan 08

I got to it fine by copying it in to the address bar after www. The only problem is it works only on the latest Firefox.

TonyV

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…