Speech recognition in Windows 7

robhawk 23:42 21 Aug 10

I am really disappointed that this seems to be so much less effective than the same program in Vista. It is awful just how difficult to get my wors right. I wonder
a) if a better, separate microphone would give the PC a better chance of getting my words correct - if so, which one and
b) shoukd I spend good money on Nuance Naturally Speaking? Is it that much better?

northumbria61 00:03 22 Aug 10

I use Speech recognition in Windows 7 although not on a regular basis. It has been mostly accurate for me - used for opening programs,emails,skype.
I have a combine "Plantronics" headset and microphone - found/recommended on the Skype Shop/Home Page - click here

I haven't used Naturally Speaking Dragon but it does get good reviews. If you do decide to go for "Nuance" there is a 20% Discount Voucher from "My Voucher Codes" (valid until 23rd Oct) - If not already registered you are only required to provide your email address to do so.

northumbria61 00:08 22 Aug 10

"I wonder if a better, separate microphone would give the PC a better chance of getting my words correct. - I think a combined headset is recommended so that you can talk "directly" into the microphone.

robhawk 11:38 22 Aug 10

Thanks northumbria61. I use the Plantronics device you mention both with Vista and Win 7. It was better with Vista. I think Microsofts Speech Recognition is not at all good. And thanks also for the voucher tip.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…