Speech recognition in Windows 7

robhawk 23:42 21 Aug 10

I am really disappointed that this seems to be so much less effective than the same program in Vista. It is awful just how difficult to get my wors right. I wonder
a) if a better, separate microphone would give the PC a better chance of getting my words correct - if so, which one and
b) shoukd I spend good money on Nuance Naturally Speaking? Is it that much better?

northumbria61 00:03 22 Aug 10

I use Speech recognition in Windows 7 although not on a regular basis. It has been mostly accurate for me - used for opening programs,emails,skype.
I have a combine "Plantronics" headset and microphone - found/recommended on the Skype Shop/Home Page - click here

I haven't used Naturally Speaking Dragon but it does get good reviews. If you do decide to go for "Nuance" there is a 20% Discount Voucher from "My Voucher Codes" (valid until 23rd Oct) - If not already registered you are only required to provide your email address to do so.

northumbria61 00:08 22 Aug 10

"I wonder if a better, separate microphone would give the PC a better chance of getting my words correct. - I think a combined headset is recommended so that you can talk "directly" into the microphone.

robhawk 11:38 22 Aug 10

Thanks northumbria61. I use the Plantronics device you mention both with Vista and Win 7. It was better with Vista. I think Microsofts Speech Recognition is not at all good. And thanks also for the voucher tip.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

Disney layout supervisor Rob Dressel on the challenges of visualising Moana

Siri vs Google Assistant