spectrum games to tape

iqs 18:48 18 Jun 04

hello.some time ago i purchassed a disc with over 3000 spectrum games(spectrum classics from revive).it was nice to relive the old days via an emulator,but nothing compares to the real thing.currently i am bidding for a actual spectrum on ebay,but no games supplied.so finally my question.is there any software or way of tranferring the games from disc to old fashion tape.thanks iqs

Totally-braindead 18:50 18 Jun 04

I remember Manic Miner what a game that was, afraid I don't know the answer though can't you get old Speccy games off Ebay or at a car boot sale?

Dorsai 19:04 18 Jun 04

Seeing as most ,original, on tape, spekky games would now be somwhere in the reagon or 20 years old by now i think it somwhat unlikly that these tapes are any good now....

Haing had a spekky i remember how hard it was to convince the games to load at the time, with a new tape and a good tape player.

seeing as normal casette tapes suffer from....Blast, i cant remember the name, have been using CD's for yonks.... the signal is stored as a magnetic pattern. the tape is magnetic... the data stored on one loop of the tape sort of transfers it's self on to the loop of tape resting next to it...on old music tapes this shows up as a faint ghost of musing on the blank spaces between tracks....

As the good old spectrum was at the best of tmes reluctant to load from newly recorded tapes i would guess that 20 year old ones are not a lot of good....

Some one must be able to write a program that takes the game on your cd and plays it through a sound card in 'spectrum tape language' so to speak.....

2neat 19:18 18 Jun 04

I have a speckie up the loft with loads of tapes,kempston joystick manual etc. How much are these worth now? The tapes may work, I will have to try them sometime. The games are so naff compared to Halo etc.

Dorsai 19:48 18 Jun 04

Worth..to most people, less that the cost of the stanps...to a real spekky fan, wait a few years till most of those still being used blow up (A not uncommon occurance if i remember) and then??£?£?£?£

Will leave my one to keep the old ZX81 company for a while yet..in a decade of two maybe a museam will want it...

Anyone care to guess what the processor speed of a spectum was, in todays money (Mhz), was...I don't have a clue...maybe 0.5Mhz??? LOL.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:58 18 Jun 04

ZX81 8k

ZXspectrum 16k

ZX 48k spectrum

Zx 128k spectrum

All 16mz

The Class 60 Freight Locomotive originally ran on a ZX81a chip.

Dorsai 20:18 18 Jun 04

Well drive me (very) slowly up a rail-way track..

I suppost at the time it did seem fast...but then it was only in comparison with a pocket calculator.

16mhz ..... you wished

zx spectrum 48 k

Year of manufacture
198?

Memory 48k
CPU Z80
Speed 3.5mhz
Operating System BASIC (48k)
Storage (disk drives) Tape
Display 256 x 192 consisting of 32 x 24 colour 'cells' - 8 colours (2 intensities)
Peripherals External tape, and sound port
Extra Expansion I/O port

an amiga 1200 was only 14 mhz

duckers 20:38 18 Jun 04

errr..... errr.....
I have lots of emulators and consider them BETTER than the real thing, eg manic miner = 20 minutes load on a speccy, 20 seconds on PC, same graphics, sound, etc,, whats the problem? are you missing the old kempston joystick like..

I like dorsai's idea of putting the tape sounds through a soundcard into a spectrum,, hehe..

Like I say though no point, the emulators load and run gams much more efficiently than the original hardware did you just dont realise it because you aint used the old hardware for so long,, I got an original C64 that has seen the light of day a couple of times but takes second place to the emulator always

duckers 20:38 18 Jun 04

errr..... errr.....
I have lots of emulators and consider them BETTER than the real thing, eg manic miner = 20 minutes load on a speccy, 20 seconds on PC, same graphics, sound, etc,, whats the problem? are you missing the old kempston joystick like..

I like dorsai's idea of putting the tape sounds through a soundcard into a spectrum,, hehe..

Like I say though no point, the emulators load and run gams much more efficiently than the original hardware did you just dont realise it because you aint used the old hardware for so long,, I got an original C64 that has seen the light of day a couple of times but takes second place to the emulator always

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…