Special time limited offer for members on dailup

MidgetMan 14:21 30 Nov 03

Because I am feeling very generous and also as a way of thanking everyone for the help I have got over the years, I have decided to offer a time limited offer to all members on 56k dailup.

In almost every thread there is a recommendation to download this and that, that will help to resolve a problem, trouble is some of these programmes are hefty, this was pointed out to me when I suggested to a fellow member that they download Jet audio, what I had not realised (being on Very fast b/b) was that it is 16mb and would take along time on 56k.

So I am prepared to download, burn to cd and post free of charge any FREE programmes and games patches etc that people need but cannot download for themselves.

All members have to do is PM with the full description and link to the relevant site and I will put it/them into folders and burn.

All that I ask in return is that file/files must not exceed 600mb in size and you only request a maximum of 6 files,and that you reside in the UK. (due to overseas postage)

Any requests for any of the above will be ignored and may the member who asks burn for all eternity!!!!!

This special offer runs out at 9am tomorrow morning and all requests will be confirmed by e-mail once I have verified them. I aim to despatch within 3 days by first class post.

I hope that no-one will try to put me in the position of refusing their requst

tbh72 14:28 30 Nov 03

That's a very generous offer MM, i'm sure you'll receive many request's.

You'll have to let us know how you get on with them.

pj123 15:25 30 Nov 03

I have also offered in the past to do the same thing. I am on NTL Broadband at 600kbs, so as well as MidgetMan I offer the same service, but with no "timeout".

Quiller. 15:36 30 Nov 03

What an excellent and generous offer.

Being a 56k man myself, about as much chance of getting B.B. around here as Mr. Gates giving his new operating system free, i know how frustrating it is downloading any thing over 5meg.

Unfortunately I cannot think of any updates I need at the moment. The computer has been left for hours and hours these past months updating drivers and application software. Mainly Nero and all the updates they have.

So I will decline the offer but hope there are some who are desperate for some large file downloads.

regards bsod

Mike ® 16:39 30 Nov 03

To save yourself a bit of postage, maybe you could email the files to the dialup users........

Seriously though a very kind offer, that I wish I had come accross before downloading a whole batch of drivers ect.

MidgetMan 17:12 30 Nov 03

Perhaps we could get together (via e-mail) and organise a service where we could compile a cd of "essential" downloads for either the poor things on dail up or newbies, the reason I have gad to put a time limit on it is due to the consraints of work and the wife!!!! but I will of course try to accomadate memebers who ask late.

Suprisingly no one has asked yet!!!, perhaps the offer is either not seen as genuine or people are shy?

MIKE, am also willing to do that using zipped files etc.

MidgetMan 17:31 30 Nov 03

Tick Tock

byfordr 17:46 30 Nov 03

What about requesting PC Advisor to put out a disk of essentials. I know some magazines accept suggestions for patches.

I remember the days of dial up, not good! Its easy for the bb enabled to forget those who can't get it. My 2meg connections eats most downloads in minutes that would take hours under dial up.

A very generous offer MidgetMan and pj123, good on you! Top work fellas.

MidgetMan 09:04 01 Dec 03

Unfortunatly have to tick as closed, no takers!!!

Somewhat suprised.

plsndrs3 09:18 01 Dec 03

Just read this post & thought 'What an excellent idea!' - although I must admit confusion why no one took you up on this very generous offer as there is no cost to the member. I appreciate why you have put a time limit on & also note that pj123 specified no limit.

I agree that a database of a variety of what can be seen as necessary programs is a good idea, but most of these are not as large as 16mb [AVG/Ad-Aware, for example].

I also fall into the 'I have broadband & forget how long some downloads can take'. Maybe a suggestion would be to begin a new thread asking members for their recommendations for those programs over, say, 1mb that are considered must haves. These can then be burnt to disk & other members can recommend both/either of you as sources for these.

A truly excellent and generous idea & really a reflection of what this forum is about - all helping each other. Just sorry I have only read this today [banned from internet over the weekend - long story, don't ask ;o(]

Stuartli 09:21 01 Dec 03

PCA regularly includes "essentials" on its cover disks.

My son provides the same service for me as MidgetMan is offering - I add large downloads to his downloads setup, he gets them via broadband and burns them onto a CD-R or CD-RW for me, delivering them a day or two later.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…