Is a special Mouse/connection needed for laptop ?

My daughter has just received a brand new shiny laptop from the education department. We have bought it home for the holidays to practise with. As she is only 7 and has tremors in her hands, using the scratchpad (or whatever it is called) integral to the laptop , is difficult for her, so I need to get a mouse. I have plenty of spare mice at home but,I cannot really see a connection on the laptop that would be suitable for a mouse (even with a round pin to usb connector , it still doesn't seem to fit).
The laptop has centrino technology and has a switch at the bottom to switch wireless on and off. I also have spare wireless mice, but usually they would connect with a base, which would be too complicated for my daughter in school. Would the "wireless" facility in the laptop mean that the mouse could be used without the base? (prob. a stupid thing to say but I do not have a clue about laptops as you can see!)
I would really appreciate some help with this- thanks!

I forgot to add- I am happy to buy a mouse for it if anybody could point me in the direction of a suitable one (in this case suitable would mean not particularly small!)

Graham ® 09:59 01 Aug 05

Any optical mouse should be recognized by the laptop. It will plug into a USB socket.

ASDA usually have them.

Thanks Graham. So I need an optical mouse with a USB connector - do I connect it to any USB port?

Pooke 10:56 01 Aug 05

yes, but a for a laptop the mini usb ones are so cute and look nice. PCWorld do a huge range, any will do. You'll get a cd with the mouse, install the software then connect the mouse to ANY of the usb ports and you're away.

Pooke

Jackcoms 11:01 01 Aug 05

"using the scratchpad (or whatever it is called)".

It's a touchpad. ;-))

woodchip 11:18 01 Aug 05

Depending on Laptop, Mine as a PS2 and USB socket so I can use ether. You can get Laptop Mouse that is very small, be just right for small hands.

Magik ®© 11:34 01 Aug 05

one of the best is the Belkin mini scroller.

De Marcus™ 11:37 01 Aug 05

If possible take your daughter to a pc world store and let her try one out and buy the one she's most comfortable with, you mention you'd prefer it to not be particularly small, so I wouldn't recommend a mini optical mouse.

Stuartli 11:59 01 Aug 05

My mate's Dell Latitude has a standard PS/2 connection and I gave him a corded mouse as it's so much easier to use than the original keyboard offering.

Thanks for all your help- I placed an order on Ebuyer for some other bits yesterday so have added a cheap mouse for the time being and will take her into PC world to get a decent one, as soon as we can get there!
I'll gp for corded as I think that would be more reliable in a classroom enviroment!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…