speakers work for system but wont play music

nixter 13:46 03 May 05

my pc speakers are giving me system sounds , but wont play any music or video sound at all, even though i see the video etc. could anyone tell me how i fix this problem(im using windows 98 se).i think i accidentally deleted them when i was cleaning the inside of my mouse, and the cursor was going all over the desktop, with me clicking on all sorts(not realising!)-they worked fine untill this happened. im fairly new to computers but i can follow step by step advice if its not too technical! thanks

martjc 13:53 03 May 05

...if you mouse to the bottom right of the screen you should see an icon resembling a speaker. Right click on it, then check the volume control levels and make sure the mute tickbox is not checked. Should be o.k. then.

Good luck!

martjc 13:53 03 May 05

...if you mouse to the bottom right of the screen you should see an icon resembling a speaker. Right click on it, then check the volume control levels and make sure the mute tickbox is not checked. Should be o.k. then.

Good luck!

nixter 14:08 03 May 05

i dont have an icon for the speakers anymore! i think i mustve deleted that maybe?--nixter

Diodorus Siculus 14:11 03 May 05

What is in control panel under multimedia?

nixter 14:20 03 May 05

i right clicked multimedia-opened it, and it said under 'audio', 'no playback devices' -then below that , 'recording devices'-no 'recording devices'

nixter 14:59 03 May 05

if anyone could help me fix this , i would be very gratefull. by the way ive noticed the speakers are giving me no sound at all , except for slight hissing when i turn them right up-the 'system sounds' i thought i was still getting, are from the computer itself , not the speakers as i had thought. i have no speaker icon on the bottom of the screen anymore. hope this helps anyone help me?

Joe R 15:10 03 May 05

nixter,

what soundcard and speakers are you using.

Diodorus Siculus 15:44 03 May 05

Get click here
Everest to ID your soundcard. The get drivers from the net.

nixter 15:52 03 May 05

i dont know what soundcard im using, sorry, dont know much about computers

Diodorus Siculus 16:18 03 May 05

Download Everest from the link above and post pack details of what it says about audio.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…