speakers work for system but wont play music

nixter 13:46 03 May 05

my pc speakers are giving me system sounds , but wont play any music or video sound at all, even though i see the video etc. could anyone tell me how i fix this problem(im using windows 98 se).i think i accidentally deleted them when i was cleaning the inside of my mouse, and the cursor was going all over the desktop, with me clicking on all sorts(not realising!)-they worked fine untill this happened. im fairly new to computers but i can follow step by step advice if its not too technical! thanks

martjc 13:53 03 May 05

...if you mouse to the bottom right of the screen you should see an icon resembling a speaker. Right click on it, then check the volume control levels and make sure the mute tickbox is not checked. Should be o.k. then.

Good luck!

martjc 13:53 03 May 05

...if you mouse to the bottom right of the screen you should see an icon resembling a speaker. Right click on it, then check the volume control levels and make sure the mute tickbox is not checked. Should be o.k. then.

Good luck!

nixter 14:08 03 May 05

i dont have an icon for the speakers anymore! i think i mustve deleted that maybe?--nixter

Diodorus Siculus 14:11 03 May 05

What is in control panel under multimedia?

nixter 14:20 03 May 05

i right clicked multimedia-opened it, and it said under 'audio', 'no playback devices' -then below that , 'recording devices'-no 'recording devices'

nixter 14:59 03 May 05

if anyone could help me fix this , i would be very gratefull. by the way ive noticed the speakers are giving me no sound at all , except for slight hissing when i turn them right up-the 'system sounds' i thought i was still getting, are from the computer itself , not the speakers as i had thought. i have no speaker icon on the bottom of the screen anymore. hope this helps anyone help me?

Joe R 15:10 03 May 05

nixter,

what soundcard and speakers are you using.

Diodorus Siculus 15:44 03 May 05

Get click here
Everest to ID your soundcard. The get drivers from the net.

nixter 15:52 03 May 05

i dont know what soundcard im using, sorry, dont know much about computers

Diodorus Siculus 16:18 03 May 05

Download Everest from the link above and post pack details of what it says about audio.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos