Speakers and headphones playing at the same time - HP Pavilion G6 Windows 8.1

0115 14:59 05 Jan 15

As per the title, my speakers and headphones have started playing sound at the same time. Under "playback devices", "speakers and headphones" appear as one (I don't know if they're supposed to be separate?) and are set as the "default device". I've had this problem for nearly a month and I absolutely need a solution. I've searched through the forum, but have been unable to find an answer. Any help would be much appreciated!

I've tried three different headphones and they all have the same problem - sound plays from the speakers at the same time.

Disabling and enabling the audio driver didn't do anything.

Uninstalling and reinstalling the audio driver didn't do anything.

I tried system restore, but I went away over the holiday period and it's possible the last restore point I could use was, in fact, after the problem occurred.

Windows refresh didn't do anything.

The Windows tutorial didn't do anything - the sound processor is working, the cable is connected, the volume is up, the troubleshooter didn't find any problems, the driver is up-to-date.

Stopping and starting audio service, Windows audio and Windows audio endpoint builder in services.msc didn't do anything. Their start-up types are all set to automatic.

I understand KB2962407 has caused sound problems for people. My laptop hadn't downloaded the update. I tried downloading it to see if this would fix the problem but it did not and I have deleted it again.

Update: I've also updated BIOS. "Speakers and headphones" has now changed to "Speakers/HP". There is still sound coming from both the speakers and the headphones. Can anyone please help?!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:09 05 Jan 15

From the service manual

Produces sound when connected to optional powered stereo speakers, headphones, earbuds, a headset, or television audio WARNING! To reduce the risk of personal injury, adjust the volume before putting on headphones, earbuds, or a headset. For additional safety information, refer to the Regulatory, Safety and Environmental Notices. NOTE: When a device is connected to the jack, the computer speakers are disabled.

This means the socket is faulty as it is supposed to cutout the speakers by a mechanism inside the socket itself. (My daughters phone as the opposite problem - no sound at all unless headphone plugged in.)

to replace the socket means wiring stripping the laptop and soldering on a new socket.

Ian in Northampton 19:04 05 Jan 15

If Fruit Bat /\0/\'s diagnosis is correct (which, given everything you've tried, I have to say it probably is), you may do best to get a USB sound card dongle (cheap, but often surprisingly good).

AroundAgain 19:18 05 Jan 15

Fruit Bat

My daughters phone as the opposite problem - no sound at all unless headphone plugged in

This is a long-shot but possibly worth a mention. A friend has a Nokia (Windows) touch screen and she said she couldn't hear anything (phone calls)unless she had 'Speakerphone' on, although the 'other end' could hear her speaking.

On looking at her phone, Googling etc, I finally discovered that when the little screen pen thing, that came with the case, which was housed in a socket at the top of the phone, was removed, normal sound was resumed!!! It became evident that, by putting the screen pen in what I then realised was the headphone socket, it was disabling the speaker!

Now, my friend can use her phone without Speakerphone and she keeps the pen somewhere different.

So, like I say, a long-shot but, nevertheless, worth a mention. It may just be your daughter's solution????

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:46 05 Jan 15

Its definitely a bad socket (I had the phone in bits) but almost impossible to repair.

Her phone company are refusing to replace the phone even though only a few months old, they are calling it wear and tear.

AroundAgain 20:17 05 Jan 15

Wear and tear when only a few months old!!! Seems they're trying hard to accept responsibility. Isn't there anything you can do? I suppose that, as you've had the phone apart, you won't have any rights now?

Sorry it wasn't just a 'simple' solution :(

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…