Speakers' funny buzzing sound...

Kinga 20:43 08 Oct 03

Hello,

Since yesterday the desktop speakers (conveniently plugged into the back of the pc) have been making a very annoying buzzing sound. I'm not sure what caused it. On Sunday, the sound was fine. On Tuesday, it was non-existent.

Now I've done all the things that I think I should do: I uninstalled and installed the soundcard (built onto the motherboard), I installed new drivers for the aforesaid soundcard, I've even installed a new sndvl32.exe, I've opened it up and gave it a good dusting (because it needed one anyway) and I've tried to get sound out of the cd rom itself (with no results).

I'm wondering if it's not just the plugin port (where the speaker plug) goes that's broken (but how?). If not, can you suggest anything else? Is it worth just disabling this soundcard and installing a new one (into one of the expansion slots)?

Any help? Please?

JFT 20:57 08 Oct 03

Try plugging the speakers into a personal stereo or similar and this will at least tell you if its the speakers at fault!

graham√ 20:57 08 Oct 03

Is there a lead from the CD-ROM to the sound card? If so it could have come unplugged at the CD end. Do you get any Windows sounds?

Kinga 21:01 08 Oct 03

I've plugged in a pair of headphones in the same port, no joy, though. Same buzzing sound.

I'm not sure about the lead from the cd-rom to the sound card. If I did knock it, would that allow me to have at least *some* windows sound?

I'm not able to hear anything right now (other than the bzzzzzzz from the speakers). No Windows sounds, no stored mp3s, no other music or video files. When the file is selected, it appears to play (WinAmp, Widows Media Player and RealPlayer all appear to play the audio file), but no coherent sound comes out.

A bit frustrated about the whole thing right now.

Could it be just that the sound card is dead?

Gongoozler 21:02 08 Oct 03

Hi Kinga. You don't say if the speakers are making a buzzing sound instead of, or as well as the proper sound. If the buzzing is at mains frequency then it is quite likely that you have lost part of the connection to your pc so the speaker is picking up mains hum. This would cause buzzing at about 100Hz in the uk (120Hz in the USA). If the earth is disconnected there would possibly still be some proper audio on it. It is also possible that the speaker power supply is delivering ac power instead of dc power. Either cause of this kind of buzzing will prrobably be there even when the computer is switched off. If the buzzing sound is originating from the computer, probably at a different frequency, then it is more likely that there is a problem with the sound driver or the sound card, or that something is interrupting the sound generation. Check Device manager to see if there are any yellow exclamation marks. If you have onboard AC'97 sound, then I would definitely recommend getting a PCI sound card if you have a spare slot. You can get really good sound cards for about £20, but even a C-media based card for about £5 is better than AC'97 onboard sound.

Kinga 21:11 08 Oct 03

Hello Gongoozler,

The speakers (and headphones, btw) are making a buzzing sound instead of the proper sound. If I play something loud enough, you can just about hear some "scratching" in the background behind the bzzzzzzz. I would check on the speaker power supply, but the thing is that the headphones are doing the same thing. Does that mean that the connection port (where the speakers are plugged in) is dead?

I like your advice about getting a new soundcard. Might be the easiest thing at the moment (and the cheapest). Does that entail simply disabling the VIA AC'97 soundcard?

Thank you all for your help, Gongoozler, Graham and JFT. I really appreciate it.

I had the same problem & it took me days to realise I had plugged the speakers into the wrong hole.

Im a bit like that :-)

Gongoozler 08:53 09 Oct 03

Hi Kinga. If you want to fit a PCI sound card you must first disable the onboard sound in BIOS and remove it in Device manager. You must then install the new card drivers and the card.

Kinga 18:52 16 Oct 03

All sorted! Sound once again coming out of the speakers.

Many thanks for all your help!

Boluwd 19:01 16 Oct 03

How did you resolve it???

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…