Speakers & Frequency Range

Mysticnas 17:28 13 Apr 06

Hi all,

I'm just curious about this topic.

the human ear can pick up sounds between approximately 20 to 20,000 hertz (20Hz - 20KHz)

Ok so if you have speakers with a lower bottom end you don't hear the frequency lower than 20Hz, but you can feel it.

However, anything above 20KHz, you can't hear it... and as far as I know you can't feel it.

So why are high end PC speakers such as the Gigaworks S750 rated at top end of 40KHz and even better Hi-Fi speakers with top ends of more than 70KHz???

If you can't hear and feel it then what's the point?

Can someone explain this to me please?

remind 17:39 13 Apr 06

I'm no expert on this subject, but harmonics of sounds above the audible range have an effect on the overall quality of the sound in question...you can't hear them in isolation but they have an influence. No idea if anyone could realistically detect a difference between 40 and 70KHz though

remind 17:39 13 Apr 06

i mean, harmonics above the audible range not sounds above the audible range

Mysticnas 17:51 13 Apr 06

I've just found something on google:

"Frequency Response
The range of frequencies the speaker will reproduce (lowest frequency to the highest). The optimal range is 20-20,000 Hz, the range of human hearing. Many high-quality tweeters, however, are able to reproduce frequencies well above 20,000 Hz. While those ultra-high frequencies are not audible to the human ear, they contain harmonics that can affect the way listeners perceive sound and its nuances."

Source: click here

remind 17:56 13 Apr 06

Glad that backs me up...I only know this stuff from sampling audio - you have to sample at twice the rate of the highest frequency of the source to reproduce everything...nyquist frequency - wikipedia have a terrifyingly complicated explanation of it..click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event live stream | Apple October Event live blog: Watch Apple unveil new MacBook Pro, new…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Lida designs a cross-stitch email sent to thousands of Ikea Family members

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: Faster performance, a brighter screen, water-ret…