Speakers for Desk top not working !

geek84 11:21 18 Aug 10

Hi folks

I bought a Packard Bell desk top machine from PC World,in March. Up until now, I have only used it for surfing the web and emailing. However, now I want to catch up on some tv programmes that I missed and have found out that the desktop does not give out any sound.

When I bought the machine, I hasd the impression that most modern machines has speakers 'built in'.

Do I need to buy some external speakers in order to hear the sound? How can I make sure that there is nothing wrong with the software that is preventing from rhe sound being heard? I do not want to spend money on buying the speakers only to find out that there is a fault with the computer software!

Thanks in advance for your response.

rdave13 11:34 18 Aug 10

Check that your monitor has speakers and a connection to the PC. Have a look at your manual.

Ian in Northampton 11:59 18 Aug 10

Personally, I've never heard of a PC coming with built-in speakers although, as rdave13 suggests, some monitors do. Check to see if your monitor has built-in speakers - but if it does, you'll still need to hook it/them up to your PC's sound port. If your monitor doesn't have built-in speakers then yes, you need to buy some.

northumbria61 12:01 18 Aug 10

There will be some sort of sound hardware on your PC most probably on-board sound but computers don't come with speakers built in - they are either on your monitor or you have to purchase external (plug-in) speakers.

If you look in Device Manager there should be something listed under "Sound,Video,Game controllers"

If you don't have a manual, post the model number here.

geek84 12:56 18 Aug 10

Hi Folks

Thanks for your replies so far. Th mnodel number is viseo 190w

Thanks

northumbria61 14:09 18 Aug 10

The specification refers to "built in speakers" so I assume these must be on the monitor itself. Go into Control Panel - Sounds - Speaker Properties - check volume levels and also that there isn't anything "muted"

Ian in Northampton 11:15 19 Aug 10

Geek84: how many cables are connecting your monitor to your PC? If only one, I'd guess that's your VGA cable, which will only carry video information But I'd imagine you should have another cable that connects the monitor's speakers to your PC's sound output. Do you?

Woolwell 11:44 19 Aug 10

Are you sure that the Viseo 190w has speakers. They are not listed here click here

Woolwell 11:50 19 Aug 10

ps what is the base unit?

northumbria61 12:03 19 Aug 10

Woolwell - your LINK leads to Google Earth release notes - however regarding the built-in speakers I am only going off this link here - click here

northumbria61 12:06 19 Aug 10

Woolwell - AHHH ! but then fromthat link clicking on the "roduct info" tab it says NO speakers.
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…