Speaker amplifier power

Dumble452 00:55 09 Sep 05

Have recently bought a set of 2.1 speakers with a remote control which only controls volume and bass. The woofer is situated below my desk and is difficult to access without crawling on the floor. The power on/off switch is located on the back of the woofer enclosure so is virtually inaccessible. Does the amplifier take any load when the computer is switched off? Is it safe to leave it switched on permanently? It would appear that this is the manufacturer's intention but there is nothing in the instructions to confirm this.

Thalmus 01:03 09 Sep 05

With these types of speakers normally if you lower the volume all the way down (not using the remote) then it will click and turn off the speakers

Dumble452 01:08 09 Sep 05

The only volume control is on the remote. There is just a power switch on the back of the unit. This is a link to the manual click here

Thalmus 01:11 09 Sep 05

Ok looks like the only to turn it off is buy the sub. There is no problem in leaving your speakers on though, i leave mine on all the time and never turn them off.

Dumble452 08:16 09 Sep 05

I found an email address on the manufacturer's web site so I posed the question to them. Yhis is their response.
"It's safe just so as long as nothing spills on the woofer, you stated that
it is under the desk, please I'd advise you not to keep any liquids on the
desk so if you might topple the liquid it could leak to the woofer, just
keep the area dry around the woofer from time to time. On the other hand if
you do keep it on, you will get a big electricity bill but it is safe to
keep it on if you want."

Stuartli 09:24 09 Sep 05

My sub-woofer is also on the floor and permanently switched on - I use the on/off switch on the speakers themselves.

Re the claim that you will get "a big electricity bill."

This is utter nonsense.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…