speadtouch 576 wireless router

please can anyone help...!
After spending hours with an AOL tech support, i'm getting problems connecting a wireless connection to a pc. The router is up and running but afters hours with AOL they are telling me the IP address is to low currently 169.254.xxx and should be 192.168.xxx this were they gave up and told me to go back were i bought the pc from well it's second hand pc for the kids is there anyone who can help..?

Diodorus Siculus 08:22 11 Mar 06

I'm not much help with wireless but if you post more details of your hardware and software, some help might be forthcoming from others.

What operating systems?

What sort of wireless adaptors?

Can you try a wired connection between the two PCs?

Danoh 19:23 17 Mar 06

plus ~ name and model numbers of the router and the wireless component within the 2nd hand PC.

A wild guess at this stage, while waiting for you to provide further details ~

but AOL tech support might have mentioned something called DHCP server providing IP addresses.
I don't know if AOL assigns IP addresses dynamically; if the router's setting does not match, I understand it could prevent the router's DHCP server from allocating internal wireless LAN IP addresses correctly to PCs trying to connect wirelessly.

More details and information please.

PU51ETR 20:07 17 Mar 06

help,
Loading my AOL software on my desk top has failed with the message: "Router configuration verification has failed for - setting user name"
My router is Speedtouch 576 which is connected via a Belkin USB Ethernet Adapter.

AOL responded by telling me they do not support Belkin Products. Can anyone help?

Dazza40 19:58 20 Mar 06

Not sure if this helps but I had a nightmare with setting up wireless with my router and Belkin USB. If I recall correctly I installed AOL software but selected No when asked if router was going to be used wireless. Bit odd I know.

I then connected to the Speedtouch site with the PC connected by cable to the router. I then adjusted the settings on the Speedtouch site.

I'm no techie but managed to get it going. If I remember right I also deleted the Belkin software and let XP recognise the wireless connector.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…