spdif can i connect my optical output to my av amp

jakbiker 20:48 23 Dec 05

Have got an Advent T9306 from Pc world and its great and before you all kick off about pc world my last pc went for six years with only minor probs whilst my mates each were on their third pc's from bespoke manufactures..so there.

Now I have pioneer vsx-d912 av amp which has two optical inputs, seeing the advent has an optical output I connected the advent to the pioneer hoping to use my 5.1 super sound system to play "quake" and cds etc... ummm the pioneer detects a digital input but it dont work.. Have looked around at tools and options in various places..the nearest was in windows media player which had a greyed out option saying i needed something or other to use it.Does ani one have any information on how I can play my pc sounds via my av amp...
thanks

woodchip 21:08 23 Dec 05

spdif is for transferring Digital sound to digital you are trying to do it to a Analog input. This will not work. To do the above you have to convert to Analog

woodchip 21:11 23 Dec 05

advent has an optical output I connected the advent to the pioneer hoping to use my 5.1 super sound system to play "quake" It should be to input not output Is one yellow and other white or is there a red one as well? As these are Analog Connectors

jakbiker 17:40 25 Dec 05

the digital optical output from the pc is coded green the pioneer amp has a digital input not coded. My cd seperate player has an optical digi output and that works with with the amp. I think that because it doesnt work with the pc I must tell the pc what I want to do..ie play the digi output of the pc via the external amp.The amp knows it is connected to a digi source. Um still looking......

jakbiker 17:42 25 Dec 05

These are square and cannot be mistaken for jackplugs

woodchip 18:46 25 Dec 05

It needs to go into the imput not output

Stuartli 19:05 25 Dec 05

The Sony/Philips Digital Interface (SPDIF) is a digital audio transfer file format and is normally used with an RCA connecter.

S-Video uses a yellow RCA jackplug for video and red and white jackplugs for audio.

My previous onboard C-Media 8738 sound chipset and current SoundBlaster Live! Value sound card both have SPDIF facilities, but I've never needed to use it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…