SPDIF ?

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 14:12 02 Mar 04

Hi, i was looking at this mobo click here

and it said it has a SPDIF but no header comes with it this lost me what is a SPDIF and would it mean more cost if i wonted to buy this mobo.

Regards.

Djohn 14:39 02 Mar 04

SPDIF, Is for direct digital input/output without having to convert to and back from analog sound.

The board in your link has on-board sound and if used I think it will allow digital output via SPDIF. The connection is there on the board but not the header. They themselves don't supply the header needed but it implies you can buy and use your own. Think I've got that right but wait for confirmation before buying. j.

LastChip 14:43 02 Mar 04
  Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 14:57 02 Mar 04

So i dont need this header to make the mobo work or anything? and i could use a normal phono conecter as a header if i wonted the SPDIF thing
working?,the board it self doesnt sound that bad and it not a bad price i was just thrown by all the tech bable,lol.

Reagdrs.

Stuartli 15:48 02 Mar 04

SPDIF represents Sony Philips Digital InterFace - you will also need the SPDIF cable but these are not very expensive; I paid about 99p for mine.

hugh-265156 16:24 02 Mar 04

you will need to purchase something like click here then you will need powered 5.1 speakers or a digital amp/reciever with a coax input to connect it to.

dont use an ordinary phono cable it wont work even though a coax cable looks similar to it.

hugh-265156 16:26 02 Mar 04

may be better to purchase a soundblaster 5.1 card maybe.

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 18:27 02 Mar 04

thx for the info, gonna look round more before i commit to this board ,would like one from the uk
so i dont have to pay as much postage.

Regards.

hugh-265156 18:37 02 Mar 04

click here have some nice kit

Stuartli 08:56 03 Mar 04

Realtek onboard sound chipsets are supposed to be superior to the C-Media offerings such as the 8738 chipset, which offers surround sound, SPDIF etc.

As someone who used an 8738 quite happily for four years before being given a SoundBlaster Live! then my reaction is that the Realtek chipsets must be very good indeed - I'm sure they are used on the Hercules Fortissimo 7.1 sound card.

The 8738 provided sound quality and surround sound that was quite remarkable for a chipset that can be purchased in PCI form for around £5 to £6 - the SoundBlaster Live! does offer somewhat more depth but, with my IBM speakers, the difference is often hard to tell.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…