sparkle fx5200

flyingbrit 23:06 07 Dec 05

Many moons ago (about 12 months really) I changed from a Sparkle fx5200 to a 6600gt and now a friend has my old 5200. Although it is working fine, he has asked me if it should have a power supply to it. Now when it was in my pc it never did although he says there is a power socket on the board. The manual for the card does say there is a power connector but does not say anything else about it. His question to me is, if he connected it up to power would it make any difference to the performance of the card? and if it doesn't, why have a power connector in the first place?

PaulB2005 23:11 07 Dec 05

Which spec / model exactly is it?

I've only found one Sparkle fx5200 with a female 4 pin Molex on it. click here Sparkle GF FX5200 128Mb DVI & TV-Out but the picture isn't too clear.

PaulB2005 23:12 07 Dec 05

But none at click here show a molex.

flyingbrit 23:19 07 Dec 05

It's a SP8834V-DT, I'd put you a link on but I'm at work now with no working right click on the mouse (it's been disabled by admin) but it's on Sparkle site.

PaulB2005 23:23 07 Dec 05

I see no power connector - click here#

The manual just states:

Some cards have an additional power cable; if your card has one, ensure
that the cable is connected with the power supply, or the card may not
work properly!
If your VGA card requires direct power and comes with an additional
power connector, please make sure you connect the card directly to the
power supply. The card may not function properly if the power cable is
also connected to another device.

The manual is not model specific.

flyingbrit 23:36 07 Dec 05

Oh it must be friend that's got it wrong, but what is that small white cube on bottom of picture near heatsink and VGA connnectors?

PaulB2005 23:38 07 Dec 05

I'm sure that's not a power connector. The power connectors are at the top right of the card. The manual also shows the power connector to be there.

flyingbrit 23:41 07 Dec 05

OK cheers PaulB2005 i'll relay that info to friend.

PaulB2005 23:44 07 Dec 05

See this picture of another brand - click here

The little white plug in a power outlet for a fan your model doesn't have / need.

The molex at the top right is the extra power "in" socket.

PaulB2005 23:44 07 Dec 05

Sorry that's at the bottom of this page - click here

PaulB2005 23:52 07 Dec 05

Large Image Warning

Here's a 5200 - click here

Note the fan power socket and no fan.

Here's a 5600
click here

Noe the fan pluged into the small white socket and the extra molex at the top right.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…