//some 3rd party need geo

spare hard drive not working.

NRD 11:13 25 Feb 05

I have a spare hard drive which I had intended to use as a backup storage.It was installed as slave to main drive and format NTFS as main drive.It was working and useable but suddenly has stopped.What ever I do it is not recognised in the Bios and if now connected as slave to main drive, then it will not work either.As soon as I disconnect the slave the main drive is back again.I wonder if the spare drive has gone over the hill, or am I missing something.Could the drive be tested in some way to prove if it is US or not.
Many thanks, NRD

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:39 25 Feb 05

Hard disk checks before you condemn it
click here

200 ways to repair a HDD
click here

Sounds as if you know what your doing but a jumper check is always a good idea, not to mix CS and slave, some old drives don't perform on the new 80 cable IDE.

Try installing as only drive on secondary ide

Yoda Knight 11:44 25 Feb 05

if u put it in as master by itself, does the bios pick it up ?

FelixTCat 12:18 25 Feb 05

Make sure that the jumpers are set properly on both drives. You should either have one master and one slave, or both should be set to cable select.

Try putting the old drive on the other IDE channel (unplug another drive if necessary) and see if it is recognised.

NRD 12:57 25 Feb 05

Thanks to Fruit Bat,Yoda Knight & Felixtcat.
I shall now take the afternoon off and have a play using your various suggestions. Will return soon with the result, ( if I don't get electricuted or something ).

NRD 11:21 26 Feb 05

This to Fruit Bat,Yoda Knight & Felixcat in particular. Problem solved,Felixcat came close,after pulling out this and that, (with my wrist band on of course) it turned out to be a very,very dodgy ide cable.This has now gone to that great plastic heaven, (local tip) and I have now another subject to discuss with the grandchildren.Its the first time that I have ventured into a forum of any kind and has been a most usefull experience and very rewarding for this old, grey and tired head.
Many thanks again to all.

FelixTCat 13:36 26 Feb 05

You're welcome. Never too old... etc The only thing I ever pick up these days is my pension!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…