SpamPal not catching spam - time to replace it?

Red Devil 09:46 11 Oct 06

Hi all,

I've been using SpamPal for many years for my spam filtering and have been very happy with the performance, especially for a program that doesn't cost anything except for a donation should you want to make one - until now that is.

Now I'm finding that, instead of picking up 90%+ - and it used to be 99%+ - of the spam I'm receiving it now only picks up around 70% of the spam I'm receiving - and that's on a good day. On a bad day it's less than 50%. On the plus side, I never - or very, very rarely - get false positives when using the program.

I'm also finding that the blacklists don't work as I would expect. I'm adding domains that I commonly get spam from - for example, I get LOADS of spam that "appears" (though I do appreciate it could be being spoofed) from a mailing list website click here - to the blacklist and e-mail from these domains still gets through SpamPal.

So I'm thinking it may be time to change to another spam filter. I've used Norton Anti-Spam 2004, 2005 & 2006 and, while I really like NAV and NPW, Norton's anti-spam program was a real issue to me. Far too many false positives, far too little tagging of real spam and a nightmare to configure.

So what else is there that I could trial? I'm prepared to pay for a decent program if that's what is takes but if I pay for a program I want something that works on at least 90% of the spam I receive. Anything less than a 90% tag rate on a program that costs money is unacceptable to me. I'm also looking, if any such programs exist, for something that allows you to report spam back. While spam seems to be constantly changing and evolving from what I receive and anti-spam programs are left constantly trying to "catch up", I have noticed that a sizeable chunk of what gets through SpamPal has the same old content, from what appears to be the same old domains that I was receiving spam from 6-12 months ago.

Any help, feedback or suggestions would be much appreciated.

terryf 09:51 11 Oct 06

Change your isp to Eclipse, they kill spam at the server

Red Devil 10:11 11 Oct 06

That's a touch of overkill wouldn't you say?

I'd have to go through the rigmarole of applying for a MAC code from my ISP, changing ISP and probably have a period of the internet.

Surely there are other options? Plus I don't rate ISP's spam killing services anyway from what I've experienced and heard.

g0slp 10:53 11 Oct 06

Have you tried Mailwasher?

click here

I paid for the Pro version, & am very happy with it, but the free version is also highly thought of. Searching this forum will give you an idea of what others think.

woodchip 10:56 11 Oct 06

Did you pay a Donation? as I suspect that you will not get the same support from the free version

Belatucadrus 11:57 11 Oct 06

Have a browse through some free options listed here, Spamihilator, Spambayes and POPFile seem the top rated ones at the moment.

Belatucadrus 11:57 11 Oct 06

click here Would help if I added the link.

brundle 12:07 11 Oct 06

K9 has always worked really well for me click here (and latterly Mozilla Thunderbird which uses the same spam catching method).
If SpamPal uses Bayesian filtering, try removing the word list/database and start afresh.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac