spammers are using my email address

DAICAP 07:05 15 Jan 04

I have been receiving 10-20 returned emails each day- none of which I have sent. So I think spammers are using my email address.
Does anyone know how this can be prevented.
I have contacted my ISP (freeserve) who were no help.
Also is there a body to whom you can report this?

LeadingMNMs 07:14 15 Jan 04

If this is the case then change your e-mail passwords, it may stop them.

GANDALF <|:-)> 07:24 15 Jan 04

More likely you have a virus....update your AV, do a scan and read here......click here

G

Gongoozler 10:20 15 Jan 04

It is most likely that someone who has your e-mail address has had their address book attacked and is being used to generate spam in your name.

igk 14:12 15 Jan 04

Welcome to the club!! this has very little to do with passwords,viruses or whatever,its called e-mail spoofing ie: someone has seen your e-mail address and is using it as you say to send spam (if you use outlook express just go to the account e-mail setup and see how easy it is to put any e-mail address in!!)The orginator can be found by looking at the headers of the e-mail (do a properties on it)take a look at spamcop.net for more info,if you are really unlucky you could get blacklisted (it does happen)best hope that these spammers move on to someone else (this is usually the case after a few days)Save a few headers just as proof that it wasn't you and keep your fingers crossed.hth.

Hyperangelic 14:50 15 Jan 04

Someone whom you have been in contact with has a virus, and your e-mail address has been taken from their address book and put in as an originating e-mail.

Don't reply to any of the mails you get - as they weren't really sent from your address. And obviously, keep your own antivirus up-to-date...

tufnut 15:45 15 Jan 04

A friend of mine who is very clued up told me to"type into your Contacts/Address Book,(in the name and Email address box),just 1000....

This stops the Virus, which sends Emails to all your contacts without you knowing or even being aware of in it's tracks.

It is also supposed to give you a warning when they attempt to do so.

I don't know how?

Cant do any harm to try.
Good luck, tufnut.

Jester2K 17:04 15 Jan 04

"A friend of mine who is very clued up told me to"type into your Contacts/Address Book,(in the name and Email address box),just 1000....
This stops the Virus, which sends Emails to all your contacts without you knowing or even being aware of in it's tracks.

It is also supposed to give you a warning when they attempt to do so."

Sorry but yuor friend isn't very clued up at all. This is a well known hoax. It doesn't stop a virus at all...

See click here

961 19:29 15 Jan 04

Go to click here and check "test my shields"

Install AVG virus check (free) from click here

Install Zone Alarm (free)

Install Spywareblaster (free)

Install Spybot search and destroy (free)

Run all these to clear your system

Keep them up to date

tafoody 19:41 15 Jan 04

i was given a tip, that you should keep addresses as "john(at)freeseve.co.uk" and then you have to physically change the (at) to @ when you need it.

DAICAP 22:03 15 Jan 04

Many thanks to all those who have offered advice. I use antivirus and a firewall, all of which are up-to-date and have several web based programs to check them.

I think Gongoozler probably has it right. I have registered a new email address with Freeserve but my old one is still active. It's still being used by the spammers and that really gets me.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…