Spambot?

Estel 09:32 30 Aug 04

I have noticed recently that my computer sometimes runs very slow. Today I noticed that my cable modem is indicating activity even when IE is not open.

Does this indicate that my computer may be infected with one of the programmes that captures spare capacity and uses it to send out rogue e-mails?

About three weeks ago my AV software intercepted something and quaranteened it. symantec were not able to provide much information about it when i reported it. If it helps - it was filed at C:\windows\temp internet\files\content\IE5\KDEF05MR\counters.php

I use windows 98SE

Any ideas?

Estel

VoG II 09:47 30 Aug 04

Try running Ad-aware click here ans Spybot click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:17 30 Aug 04

Have you got a firewall a good one will inform you about what programs are trying to access the net you can then allow or deny access.

ZoneAlarm

click here

p

Works well in conjunction with VOG's suggestions and Spywareblaster click here blocks incoming dialers / trojans / keyloggers and other malware.

Estel 10:20 30 Aug 04

I have Zone Alarm Basic running all the time. if that is not showing an alert does that mean it is OK?

I will try your other suggestions when i get a moment, probably tomorrow

Thank you

Estel

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…