spam website 'about:blank' and spyware pop ups

peterj 01:16 26 Oct 04

My browser home page comes up 'about:blank' and features a search page. No id is shown and the contact address is of course not contactable.
The search pages works well but for lmited responses only (ad listings). Once the page is established there are three pop ups promoting spyware or threatening infection -these are ads.
click here?
click here?
click here?

I can reset my browser to default but the 'use current' setting is not active. 'Use blank' generates about:blank. When I reset to default it ressets itself back to about:blank. the 'home' button takes me to about:blank and I am really blanked off! I cant find the bug, Norton finds nothing,Ad-aware finds nothing..anyone got any ideas.

Valvegrid 08:10 26 Oct 04

If you do a search for hosts file, without any extension, then try renaming it to hosts.old and give that a try.

If you are using XP hosts are in: C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc

In Windows 98 its in C:\windows\

end 08:32 26 Oct 04

have just put in a search for about blank and there are 8 threads you might find help from:)

oakwood 08:41 26 Oct 04

I had the same problem a while back click here
Sorted it for me.

peterj 14:55 26 Oct 04

Problem solved. Oakwood and Kaspersky spyware did the trick.With an advice archive like this you really do have to question why we spend hours trying to reinvent the wheel, convinced we are the only people in the world with problems. I often doubt my own sanity. Thanks again.

bof:) 16:05 05 Dec 04

also try StartPage Guard. It protects your start page from being nicked. Its free as far as I'm aware.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…