spam from my website

sugarbabe 21:47 18 Aug 07
  Patr100 22:02 18 Aug 07

Not posting it in a public web forum would help for a start..

-

sugarbabe 22:06 18 Aug 07

very helpful thanks for that

mco 00:31 19 Aug 07

if you do a forum search - for instance: you could put it in an image for instance; or you could type it out with words in the middle like REMOVETHISBIT so people have actually to type your email manually rather than just clicking on it - and there are programs ( I think they're called obfuscating) that will 'disguise' it to make it harder for bots to read...that said, I get loads of spam and I don't know which is the best way really

sugarbabe 17:46 19 Aug 07

I have now removed email address from site and just using form will that stop it???

cycoze 20:18 19 Aug 07

Your form may be getting used to send spam if it is not fully secured, some forms can be compromised using a BCC code to send to multiple email addresses, you may/may not get a form mail response with a list of the BCC`s in it.

It may be more simple than that and your email address is being used manually by a spammer which unfortunately your not going to stop it, you could however change the email and use it through a secure form without advertising the address itself.

sugarbabe 20:20 19 Aug 07

Not sure that i can changes the address cause it is the web address. Any ideas??

sugarbabe 22:05 19 Aug 07

don't know if php form or not i'm using heart internet as hosting and they provide program for forms which i built on frontpage. web address is click here

SimpleSimon1 09:21 21 Aug 07

Sugarbabe, I've been reading up on this cos I have the same problem on my wife's site. There seems to be four issues:

1) If you use a 'mailto' tag and your email address, the spam robots WILL harvest it and you will start to receive 'interesting' offers!

2) You can use the various free tools on the web to 'encrypt' the email address in the 'mailto' tag either via HTML or JavaScript. If you use the former, many people seem to think that the smarter spam robots can decrypt and harvest it. If you use the latter, this appears to be more secure but anyone who has Java disabled will not be able to use the mailto link

3) If you do not use a 'mailto' tag but do use a form on your web site with an embedded email address, the spam robots will normally find this address and harvest it.

4) Using a CGI script which holds your email address in the script rather than the HTML appears to work (although see below) BUT there are lots of spam robots which, when they find a form, even if they cannot harvest the email address, they can post a message to your email address via that form!

The article here (click here)
appears to be a very good review of the subject AND suggests a solution to stop spam robots using your forms. Like you, I'm on Heart internet but I haven't yet checked which version of FormMail, they use.

SimpleSimon1 09:24 21 Aug 07

Sugarbabe, I've been reading up on this cos I have the same problem on my wife's site. There seems to be four issues:

1) If you use a 'mailto' tag and your email address, the spam robots WILL harvest it and you will start to receive 'interesting' offers!

2) You can use the various free tools on the web to 'encrypt' the email address in the 'mailto' tag either via HTML or JavaScript. If you use the former, many people seem to think that the smarter spam robots can decrypt and harvest it. If you use the latter, this appears to be more secure but anyone who has Java disabled will not be able to use the mailto link

3) If you do not use a 'mailto' tag but do use a form on your web site with an embedded email address, the spam robots will normally find this address and harvest it.

4) Using a CGI script which holds your email address in the script rather than the HTML appears to work (although see below) BUT there are lots of spam robots which, when they find a form, even if they cannot harvest the email address, they can post a message to your email address via that form!

The article here (click here)
appears to be a very good review of the subject AND suggests a solution how to stop spam robots using your forms. Like you, I'm on Heart internet but I haven't yet checked which version of FormMail, they use. Based on the article, I would probably want to use the NMS version of FormMail
and modify it as they suggested.

At the moment, this is all theory. However, when I've got some time I'll be trying this approach out. However, in the meantime, if you feel like being a pioneer.... :-)

Good Luck

SimpleSimon1 09:26 21 Aug 07

Sorry for that partial first post!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…