Spam masquerading as sourced from me

Batch 08:11 01 Nov 05

I've had a couple of instances recently where spam related mail that I receive purports to originate from me.

The first instance is where the sender (and the recipient and the subject) is actually my email address. I realise that the mail headers can be modified to achieve this, and the big D just gets hit to bin them.

More annoying is the second instance. One of my email addresses is being used as the sender of spam to others (the mail contains an attachment with a link to the real object of the mail). The consequence of this is that I then receive all the auto-replies (e.g. address not know, out of office, detected as spam and binned etc.). This happened for the first time last night and I received 148 "responses", many with the original ad attachment.

Has anyone come across this before, as it is the first time that I have seen it. Apart from trapping and binning them, I can't think of anything else that I can realistically do - I don't think contacting the real originator would be productive, possibly quite the opposite. Any suggestions?

Taff™ 08:22 01 Nov 05

Apart from ignoring it I suggest you contact your ISP just in case they think it`s you too. They will probably ask you to send them a copy og one of the messages.

Gaz 25 13:02 01 Nov 05

Report to the IP address from the sender.

Usually you'll get a header:

Received: from [0.0.0.0] (helo=DNSHOSTNAME)

Take the IP address, represented as 0.0.0.0 above.

Then, head to dnsstuff (google it) and enter a tracert for that IP. Find the DNS hostname as it might be spoofed on headers, run a whois, and report to the abuse e-mail.

Chegs ® 13:15 01 Nov 05

I once was the recipient of 2-300 spam mails per hour,I traced its alleged source,contacted the webmaster of the companies site,and requested the spamming stop.I received a response from the webmaster stating "No-one of that name works here" to which I replied "Then get your ruddy PC's checked for malware!" The spam stopped a few hours or so later,which might have been coincidence,but might not. ;-)

Gaz 25 13:32 01 Nov 05

I find most of those 'webmasters' or network support staff are lazy, and can't be bothered.

Batch 13:47 01 Nov 05

Would that work in this case?

The mails that I am receiving are the auto-replies etc. from the various recipients (organisations) of the original spam emails (that had my email address inserted as the sender - note that they were not sent from my systems, just doctored so that they appeared to have been sent from me).

So the senders of the emails that I am receiving are various innocent parties. Apart from contacting the recipient organisations of the original spam emails to get them to trace back the senders of the original mails (a thankless task I imagine), I'm not sure what else I can do.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Xiaomi Mi5s review: The Xiaomi flagship that could replace your Samsung, LG, HTC or Apple phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Mental Canvas is a brand new drawing app that's quite unlike any other

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's super-expensive new…