Spam left on server.

RoA 08:46 10 Jan 08

I have found that making my account name more specific I can avoid downloading the dozens of spam messages addressed to variations of my email address which arrive each day. My question is what happens to these? Are they automatically deleted from the server after a period of time or will they accumulate and eventually block up my email system? I am with Orange.
Any information gratefully received.

johnnyrocker 08:50 10 Jan 08

your isp could answer that more specifically i would think but my guess is they would get deleted, but i would ask how they are left on server and not downloaded with the rest of the mail?

johnny

bretsky 11:11 10 Jan 08

If you log in to check your email via your webmail,ie your Orange home page, you can set spam filtering whereupon all spam that's caught is sent to your junk mail folder and after seven days these are deleted off the server.

For setting up this see click here
and read the whole page.

Of course there is a downside to this, say you have just made an online purchase, usually the vendor would send you a receipt, this can sometimes be seen by Orange as spam and ends up in the junk mail folder , same as when you join a forum etc etc.
You'll have to keep on eye on this to see that LEGIT email doesn't caught. I check mine and delete on a daily basis, getting about 50 spam emails a day.

bretsky ;0)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now