Spam harvesters here ?

seedie 19:16 18 Sep 03

I have two email accounts which I use regulary.

Any online transaction I always use the account which attracts the spam i.e ordering online from Scan , ccl, registering etc. The other acc. is known to a neighbour and this site. I could count on the fingers of one hand the number of people I have contacted via the envelope on this site's postings yet yesterday and today I am receiving spam on this email address. One yesterday was a 419 scam and the other a money offer. Previous to this my *private* mail account had not received one item of spam over a space of at least a year.

Whilst I would be wary of pointing a finger at any person I leave you to draw your own conclusions.

CD

GANDALF <|:-)> 20:05 18 Sep 03

Paranoid...Welcome to the real world. I receive 50 pieces of spam a day and it is not a real problem. The internet is an open source, if this bothers anyone I would suggest that they don't use it. Use the delete button, it is not an arduous task.

G

Jester2K II 20:16 18 Sep 03
  GANDALF <|:-)> 20:28 18 Sep 03

ROTFLMAO! :-))))))))))))))

G

Jester2K II 20:29 18 Sep 03

Came in the post today but on the website you have to wait for it to rotate through loads of cartoons. Missed it three time before i could get the link.....

Jester2K II 20:37 18 Sep 03

Spammer often bulk guess e-mail addresses, after all it only takes a few minutes to send thousands of e-mails from all the combinations between say a @ hotmail . com and zzzzzz @ hotmail . com

Who knows how they got your address?? The Internet is a bigger place than PCAS....

seedie 08:05 19 Sep 03

GANDALF <|:-)>

It's not paranoia but it is certainly coincidental and if you only receive 50 spam items a day you're lucky;I've just deleted 74 on the other account, a hundred in one day is the record.

J2k An inspired guess indeed. Ticking this as closed and thanks to you both for taking the time to reply.

CD

Sir Radfordin 08:27 19 Sep 03

If its any consolation I've had 6000+ emails to one account that I consider spam since Feb this year!

-pops- 09:05 19 Sep 03

100 in one day? You don't know you're born. Wait until the spammers really get going on your accounts.

Did you know that there are companies that sell email address generators that can create millions of random email addresses an hour and then send a message to each and every one of them?

Did you know that there are companies that will do this creating and sending for you?

Did you know that these address generators "know" when they've made a hit, whether or not you reply to them? Once they've made a hit to a seemingly real address, there is no doubt at all that the amount of spam sent to that address will multiply - and multiply in an almost geometric fashion.

You pointedly say in your post "draw your own conclusions." Well, I do and it's not the same conclusion that you've drawn.

Coaster3 09:55 19 Sep 03

In the address line, just changr the 6.gif to 7.gif etc. and away you go.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…