Spam on the forums - trying to control

simonjary 13:28 PM 24 Nov 12

Hi, everyone.

As you may have noticed the PCA forums are again under attack from spammers.

We are trying to ban and delete them as fast as they come in but controlling a big attack on a weekend isn't easy.

That's our Saturday afternoon sorted then... :(

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:15 PM 24 Nov 12

So you lads won't be watching the football then?

Keep up the good work

:0)

Secret-Squirrel 14:20 PM 24 Nov 12

".....We are trying to ban and delete them as fast as they come in..."

After banning all those new spammers, could you also suspend new sign-ups for a while?

simonjary 14:29 PM 24 Nov 12

Secret-Squirrel,

We could do but it's likely spammers are smart enough to have registered plenty of nasties prior to the attack to stop that having any effect other than on the innocent.

Cheers,

Simon

simonjary 15:47 PM 24 Nov 12

We have now fired up our Iron Dome defence shield. Let's see how effective that is.

(As ever, this can affect innocent forum posts – so please bear with us through the blitz.)

Thanks,

Simon

Publisher, PC Advisor

Mr Mistoffelees 15:58 PM 24 Nov 12

"We have now fired up our Iron Dome defence shield. Let's see how effective that is.

(As ever, this can affect innocent forum posts – so please bear with us through the blitz.)"

This conjures images of spammers firing doodlebugs at IDG HQ!

Forum Editor 10:55 AM 25 Nov 12

Jock1e

Don't tempt fate.

john bunyan 16:43 PM 25 Nov 12

spam re DENVER Broncoes

Wes.Clox 18:20 PM 25 Nov 12

Lot of spam about!

Filters not working?

Forum Editor 19:00 PM 25 Nov 12

It would be really helpful if, when you spot something untoward, you could let me know via email, rather than posting about it here.

There are a number of reasons for this which - for obvious reasons - I'll not go into here.

Email me:- [email protected] or use the 'contact Forum Editor' link that you'll see towards the top of the page. No need for a message,just go into the thread containing the spam message and then copy the url from your browser's address bar. Paste that into the body of the email,put the word 'spam' into the subject line and send it. Then post the message 'Spam - FE informed' on the thread,so others know,and I don't receive ten emails about the same spam post.

Many thanks for your cooperation - it will help me enormously.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 now: how to download and install Windows 10 even if GWX.exe is missing

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Nokia rolls out spherical camera for virtual reality apps

7 best iPhone web browser apps: Why Safari for iOS is still a better option than Chrome, Dolphin,…