SPAM Explosion

Macaonasa 19:47 26 Nov 03

On the day the British Government announced the introduction of anti-SPAM legislation, my SPAM intake exploded from a weekly average of 6 to 18 per day. The Americans have just announced similar legislation and, surprise surprise, I've just received 76 SPAMs today.

I know many felt these measures were toothless but I didn't expect them to dramatically multiply the junk.

Forum Editor 19:55 26 Nov 03

have found you there'll be no let up. I run three separate email accounts, and was receiving over 100 spam messages a day on each of them. IDG Communications - the magazine's publishers - have now installed anti-spam measures on our mailserver and my Forum Editor address hardly receives any spam at all.

Both my private and my business addresses are now also protected by anti-spam software on the server, and the spam problem has all but gone - it's a bad day now if I get half a dozen. I strongly recommend that you find out if your ISP can offer server-side spam protection - it's worth the few extra pounds they might charge.

i've noticed the spam hitting my inbox has multiplied by at least 5 -10 , its about time these people were prosecuted for doing this cos its starting to drive me mental.

fullyfitted 20:00 26 Nov 03

think yourself lucky.
I got 129 today and they are all U S A based and have increased since I used E-Bay and Pay pal for a purchase from the States.

I know this topic has been hammered but is it worth changing my e-mail address and/or my I S P to try and avoid the deluge?

Any advice or comments welcome

Djohn 20:10 26 Nov 03

I've just changed to a new ISP and therefore have a new e-mail address. What are the chances of this being picked up by the Spammers? So far I have only given it out to a few friends, and this Forum on re-registering of details. j.

VoG II 21:12 26 Nov 03

You're obviously all getting mine click here

I now get one or two a day - if I'm lucky.

GANDALF <|:-)> 21:16 26 Nov 03

Spam isn't a problem. There are plenty of programmes that can filter out the spam mails and deleting them is not exactly an arduous task. On one of my accounts I get about 80 a day...it takes less than 2 minutes to delete them all.

G

obbit 21:23 26 Nov 03

we shouldn't have to spend money to be spam free it should be stopped all together.

but the good old USA have agreed to apply a vote out option instead of vote in. i have always been told not to click on "remove me from mailing list" as this lets the 'orrible little tyke that sent it know you are there.

how does a law in this country apply overseas?

Macaonasa 21:41 26 Nov 03

SPAM is a problem. Why should I have to see it at all, let alone spend time getting rid of it?

palinka 22:21 26 Nov 03

I use Bigfoot's optional extra service ($9 approx a quarter) that, amongst other benefits, has cut spam to maybe one every 2 days. But recently i've found some of my mail very delayed (48 hours in one case) and I wonder if it is the amount of traffic - in the shape of spam - that's clogging the "wires".

Macaonasa 22:25 26 Nov 03

I've discovered that Outlook Express isn't implementing my rules. I tested this by sending a mail fom my Yahoo account to my OE account with one of my banned words in the subject line - it still got through.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…