Spam emails using email address

Binzy 20:44 13 Dec 07

In the past I've just deleted spam emails and not worried about them, but now they are starting to come in using m saying "Hi - then my email address".

Should I be worried about this?

Technotiger 20:55 13 Dec 07

Hmm, don't think so - just delete them as usual. It is only if/when a person responds to these things, that problems are very likely to occur. It is so easy to 'hit' on strangers email addresses, I am pretty sure they are not directed at you specifically - just a spammer using ad-hoc addresses.

Binzy 09:27 14 Dec 07

Thanks. One other question: The way my outlook express is set up, the screen is divided into two: the top half showing incoming mail by line item the bottom showing the e mail content. Consequently, if I select a spam email to delete, the content is shown at the bottom of the screen. Is this OK, or am I inadvertently opening the email?

Technotiger 09:40 14 Dec 07

I don't use Outlook or Outlook Express, so cannot comment other than make a guess - I am pretty sure that in OE Tools/Options or similar, there will be the option NOT to show that bottom half of the mail window - so that is what I advise you to look for.

johnnyrocker 09:41 14 Dec 07

you are, you should hide the prview pane to be extra safe.

johnny

laurie53 10:46 14 Dec 07

One minor problem with this.

If you get a phishing e-mail you have to open it in order to forward it to the relevant security department.

clock 10:55 14 Dec 07

I've always wondered about this as invariably when I delete an unwanted e-mail it always opens at the point of delete!!

Another thing reference laurie53's last comment. I have had several phishing e-mails over the last few days purporting to be from Abbey, Lloyds etc which I deleted then rang the banks. They seem very blase about my reports of such e-mails, saying mostly, that "there's a lot of them about at the moment and just don't respond to them"!

Not quite what I expected,

Clock

birdface 11:23 14 Dec 07

You could open your mail with e-prompter its free,You just remove all the mail that you don't want,And the rest gets transferred to your own e-mail account when you open it.click here it takes up to 16 different e-mail addresses.If you like you can open them in there before you delete them if you want to.

octal 11:48 14 Dec 07

I think the banks must get pretty cheesed off with everyone reporting these emails because I suspect they know all about them, don't worry I'm not having a go at you because you are doing the right thing, but I think it's much better just to delete them and forget. It's all down to education and there has been enough publicity about phishing emails that people should have got the message by now and banks just can't keep up with them, so it's down to you and me to ignore them.

Just to put it into perspective, if the spammer sends 1,000,000 emails and they get a response of 0.0001% that's a heck of a lot of replies and that could net them £50,000 from compromised accounts. I think the problem is not the established computer user like most people on here, but the new computer user who doesn't know any better.

I think all new computers should come with a government security health warning attached to the side of it.

Binzy 19:35 14 Dec 07

Thanks all. I've now got rid of the preview pane.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac