Spam, Email Scams and Phishing, how to stop them?

The LED Lighting Company 18:42 29 Jan 05

For a few months I have been receiving the odd email from financial and business people in countries like Nigeria, Sumatra etc asking for bank account details etc so that I can share the rewards from some poor dead guys bank account or I have won the lottery or some orphanage in the middle of nowhere, that does not exists needs funds............etc

Luckily I am not that green and have never used any of the embedded links or replied to these people.

The thing that bothers me is I am now getting the same mail from the same sender to all 8 of the POP accounts I have in Outlook, including private and business accounts. Some mails are sent as spam as there is a whole list of other poor suckers in the CC field, I dont appreciate my address being shared in this manner.
Normally I just use the junk email function to get rid of them, but this is not really solving the situation. Some days I can get upto 40 mails, but normally I get around 100 a weeks.

I regulary carry out virus, trojan, spyware etc etc scans, and very rarley find anything apart from the odd cookie. So how do these people get hold of my personal and business email adresses?

Any help or advise would be much appreciated.

My setup consists of the following,

Win XP Home SP1, auto update is ON
ADSL, internal modem
McAfee Firewall
Mozilla 1.7.3 (never use IE)
Outlook 2003
McAfee VirusScan Pro
WinPatrol
BulletProofSoft spyware remover
SpywareBlaster
The Cleaner
Pop Up stopper
Shoot the Messenger, Unplug N Pray, DCOMbob (all from grc.com)
And maybe a few more as an when.

The main question is, How the hell do I stop the mails?
Can the sender be reported? if so who to?

Any help or advise would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Simon Wells

VoG II 18:51 29 Jan 05

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…