spam e-mail from my address

swapper 06:58 25 Nov 08

I have started to get spam email from my own email address.

No-one else has access to my computer, there is only my wife and I.

How can someone else be using my address?

Any ideas please?

tia

Taff™ 07:16 25 Nov 08

It happens when someone "spoofs" the e-mail address to make it look like it`s coming from you. It doesn`t necessarily mean your security has been compromised. What anti-virus are you running and is it up to date?

swapper 16:48 25 Nov 08

Taff™,
I have a-quared Free, Spybot S.D., Spyware blaster, and Avast. all relatively up to date,
but I will check again.

How is an address "spoofed" do you know?

Taff™ 16:57 25 Nov 08

Looks like a similar set of tools to mine - just run them all to check everythings all right. Here are some links that explain what might have happened:

click here
click here
click here

octal 19:24 25 Nov 08

Spoofing emails isn't difficult using the telnet command. I could quite easily send an email which looking at the 'from' in the address line looks like it comes from you. You have to dig a bit deeper and read the headers in the emails which will reveal the true sender by reading the Received line and doing a reverse lookup to find the ISP that sent it, then report it to the ISP responsible via their abuse email address.

type into Google 'how to read email headers' that will describe what to do.

swapper 20:45 26 Nov 08

thank you both, I'll have a look and come back.

Garawa 14:09 06 Nov 09

I have been having this problem and would like to reopen this issue. Can I get this straight (as this issue is upsetting me)? If an email has a return address that is my address and Norton asks to add my address to the blocked senders list, it still could have been forged? I have checked the message source and it does say that I sent it!

All my security is up to date and no spwyware, viruses etc were found on 3 programs including NIS2010. Convinced someone was using my accounts I changed my passwords etc yet it still happened.

My address has been added as a blocked sender meaning my emails were being swallowed up by recipients spam filters. My ISP said that only they could remove me but MAPS tells me that the IP address is a dynamic one? and that only the ISP can resolve it! A non-resolving merry-go-round.

If you tell me that people can send an email with my address without hacking into my accounts I will be much happier as it is this that concerns me most.

Many thanks.

swapper 00:02 01 Jan 10

Thanks for the input, I have not had any more.
And I think my answer has been answered.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced