Space on drives - Help!

sarjane 07:48 19 Oct 07

Hi - I have an old dell laptop which has 2 hard drives. The 'C' Drive is virtually full and is causing great problems while the 'D' Drive is almost empty. Cant load anything onto my computer (e.g iTunes) as it trys to load to 'C' and I cant find a manual option to amend this. Is there any way I can either move stuff over from 'C' to 'D' or set 'D' as the default drive?

Any help appreciated

Thanks

Taff™ 08:28 19 Oct 07

Open Windows Explorer (Windows Key + E Key) and you should see the C & D drives in the left hand pane. First check how big the drives are by right clicking on each and select properties - this will tell you how much space you have free on each.

I suspect you have quite a lot of music files on the C drive so I would move as much as you can to the D drive. Create a folder on the D drive called Music and then drag and drop folders of music into it.

You need to have about 15% of your C drive available as free space for XP to run properly and the first thing I would do after transferring files would be to run Ccleaner click here Next to a defragment of the C drive in safe mode. Then start a ruthless deletion of surplus to requirement files, unused programs and downloaded installation files.

You will have to get Windows Media Player to monitor your new music folder otherwise the tracks won`t be playable.

martjc 08:55 19 Oct 07

As Taff™ explains, this is a handleable problem. Just wondered, do you have two separate drives or is d: simply a secondary partition? Could it not be as large as you think, but only a recovery area containing tghe relevant files for backup/recovery?

keef66 10:12 19 Oct 07

Since it's a laptop I suspect it has a single HDD partitioned into a C and a D drive. Our Dell lappys at work have exactly this arrangement but they insist on a 50:50 split; the C drive fills up because it's the dfault location for most apps, while D remains largely empty. I.T. won't allow the partitions to be resized!

Our desktop pc at home came with a partitioned 80gig HDD and the D drive was as martjc suggested, just a 3 gb backup/recovery partition with a ghost image and all the driver files.

If D turns out to be big enough to use, you can get software to adjust the size of partitions, so you could make C: bigger and D: smaller. (eg Partition Magic)

DieSse 11:55 19 Oct 07

You can easily point the whole of My Documents to the D drive - then all you data will be moved, and in future be stored there. That may be enough for you.

Right click My Documents on the Desktop - click Properties - click Move.

You may want to set up a folder on the D drive so that you have somewhere to move it to. Dead easy, and a minimum of messing about.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:44 19 Oct 07

Explorer will move your data
but you can only move programs with something like
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017