SP3 and Realtek AC97 sound cards

exdragon 09:37 22 Aug 08

I remember there were some people who were having problems with the sound after installing SP3 - does anyone know if it was resolved?

Stuartli 09:59 22 Aug 08

AC 97 is onboard sound - I haven't had any problems with SP3 and Realtek but, if I had, the first step would have been to download the latest drivers version (currently WDM_A405) for my particular Realtek sound chipset.

Stuartli 10:01 22 Aug 08

I never download the latest Realtek drivers from its website - it's mindblowingly slow..:-)

Softpedia or MajorGeeks are the preferred options.

exdragon 10:59 22 Aug 08

This is what was bothering me - taken from a previous post. I've recently had a reformat and hard drive replacement and can't cope with another problem now! Maybe I should stick with SP2...

I Have Managed to restore the XP machine (still without sound) to a working state without having to re-format.

Copius manual registry editing, uninstalling windows installer...Re-installing XP SP3, re-installing windows installer 3.1, resulted in normal boot, and the installer now works.

The fact is, (on AMD boards at least) SP3 is cannot be uninstalled without causing havoc. The only communication from Microsoft has been that the "are aware of the problem"

Stuartli 15:45 22 Aug 08

>>The fact is, (on AMD boards at least) SP3 is cannot be uninstalled without causing havoc.>>

I have an AMD Athlon XP 3200+ and an MSI KT6V (Via chipsets) motherboard - SP3 was installed in RC form twice and eventually in its Final form with no disruption...:-)

Did you try an XP Repair first before deciding on all that hard work?

exdragon 16:44 22 Aug 08

Only the firsr para above is mine - as I said, the reat was taken from an earlier post but I note I didn't make it clear it wasn't mine, but someone else who was having a problem.

john the scone 17:53 22 Aug 08

just had help to restore my sound on my ac97 sound card. didn't put 2 and 2 together as its was on my desktop which i dont use that often, but lost sound when sp3 was installed. jak_1 guided me to realtec driver download and once installed sound returned fine.

woodchip 18:03 22 Aug 08

Mines okay

john the scone 09:14 01 May 09

resolved

exdragon 09:17 01 May 09

Do you have the link, please? Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…