SP3 RC2 conundrum

cocteau48 17:12 09 May 08

Way back in February I installed the RC2 version of SP3. Off the MS update site and using the registry script provided it was about 65Mb.
Since then everything has been working great with MS updates downloading and installing OK.
With the release of the final version I thought that I would experiment (after creating an Acronis Image) with uninstalling the RC2 version and seeing what would subsequently download from the MS site.
It would appear that I cannot uninstall this version at all as it neither appears in Add/Remove programs or as an uninstall folder within the Windows folder.
Googling the problem: many seem to be unable to complete the uninstall due to missing files - but I cannot even start the uninstall process.

SP3 is definitely on the system and works fine ,it is just that it shows,under properties,the RC2 version no.

I am now wondering - if I can still get the full standalone version of RC2 - and trying a reinstall over the existing RC2 - it would at least give me the uninstall option.

Any other ideas?

VoG II 17:14 09 May 08

Do you have 'Show Updates' ticked in Add/Remove programs?

cocteau48 17:18 09 May 08

VoG™
Yes

VoG II 17:38 09 May 08

That's odd because I did exactly the same as you are proposing to do and it was listed.

You could see if RevoUninstaller click here will find it.

birdface 17:44 09 May 08

I don't suppose a system restore will help.

birdface 17:55 09 May 08

I know when I deleted mine and installed the full version.I could not get the computer to start again.As I never had another computer to use I ended up re-formating it. So good job you did the back up of it.

cocteau48 17:56 09 May 08

Thanks guys
VoG™ - no sign in Revouninstaller

buteman - System Restore - not back to February methinks

I have found what should be the full standalone version of RC 2 (build 3311) on the Softpedia site.
Hopefully that will install over the top of the existing.
I will keep you posted

Technotiger 17:58 09 May 08

I did not delete my earlier version of SP3, I just downloaded and installed the latest from a link shown by VoG™ .... something like 316Mb and exactly 59Mins from start to finish. No problems whatsoever.

Technotiger 17:59 09 May 08
  Stuartli 18:18 09 May 08

IIRC the advice from Microsoft was to uninstall the Beta before installing the Final version.

Technotiger 19:06 09 May 08

Well, I just did mine 'over the top' with no problem at all, and it shows as Service Pack 3. v. 3264 in my System Properties.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…