SP3 and internet loss, still need help

decyohno 16:45 21 Sep 08

I've been tearing through a bunch of forums trying to find a solution but still haven't found something that works.

Running XP SP2 currently on an intel based Toshiba. Using a linksys WRT54g router and road runner.

Installed SP3, didn't see anything act up during the installation.

Running-
Windows Firewall
Avast Anti-virus
Ad-Aware

I did a system restore and still no internet.
I uninstalled SP3 and still nothing.
I reinstalled the wireless drivers, nothing.

mgmcc 17:06 21 Sep 08

If you connect to the router with an ethernet cable, does the computer get its correct 192.168.1.x IP address?

If so, try removing any existing wireless "profile" and then go through the procedure to "Connect" again. In other words, run the wireless adapter's software, scan for "Available Wireless Networks", find and highlight the one that matches your router's SSID (network name) and select the option to "Connect" to it. You should be prompted to enter any WEP or WPA encryption key and, once "Connected", the wireless adapter should get its IP address by DHCP from the router and you should have network and internet access.

If using Windows "Wireless Zero Configuration" to manage your wireless networking (which I'd recommend) then, to Remove the existing "profile" - click here If using third-party software supplied with the adapter, there should be an option within its settings to delete profiles.

decyohno 17:18 21 Sep 08

Yeah...that did nothing.

decyohno 17:39 21 Sep 08

Okay, so I have tried re-establishing the network. I have gone in and adjusted all my settings, and then reset them after none of that worked.

I do know how to manage my network.

I can get acknowledgment from my router, I can even access it with that laptop and go in and adjust settings.

I just cannot get internet to respond. I have seen a few people mention something about an extra set of fixes you have to go through if you did a system restore and there's still no response. It's just that I cannot find that resource for what the extra fix is.

I have gone through and seen that what I have doesn't match the bulk of the problems I can find references for.

woodchip 17:55 21 Sep 08

Are you trying to connect to the Net? or Networks all your computers?

^wave^ 18:09 21 Sep 08

i would try disabling the windows firewall and then try also stop any other spy ware progs

^wave^ 18:09 21 Sep 08

i would try disabling the windows firewall and then try also stop any other spy ware progs

mgmcc 18:52 21 Sep 08

<<<< I do know how to manage my network. >>>>

In that case, you'll be able to sort it out for yourself, won't you? I won't waste any more of my time trying to help.

global-killer 11:16 22 Sep 08

Had the same prob with SP3 myself, kept dropping internet connection with error message oxc0000005 which is to do with the explorer program. Solution I found was to re-install Windows but only with SP2 installed.

Internet is now perfect again.

I tried to uninstall SP3 first but found it still left loads of rubbish behind.

jimv7 11:49 22 Sep 08

Try winsock fix from click here

decyohno 18:02 22 Sep 08

That windsock fix did the trick, everything is back up and running!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5