SP3.. again :)

Tim Page 13:20 14 Jun 08

Hi there..

I'm a newbie to the forums, probably falling into the category of "a little knowledge being a dangerous thing" :)

I've read as many threads as I can find about this, but I seem to have a slightly different set of circumstances and issues to others after installing XP SP3.

Sadly, I didn't really pick up on the issues with SP3 until I'd tried a lot of other things which probably haven't helped and may have made things worse.

I started off with the eternal re-boot (which - after hours searching for Sasser and Blast - seemed to be cured by blocking the shutdown and running a Eusing registry fix).

Then Norton failed and suggested I reinstall: I uninstalled but it wouldn't reinstall. Then I uninstalled SP3 but am getting the threat to reboot again (which I'm blocking from the command prompt).

I don't have any network connections showing (though bizarrely I am happily connected to my router and posting this!); Windows Firewall won't open (says it can't open Internet Connection Sharing); and there are weird things I've not seen mentioned elsewhere: the most obvious is not being able to move files around, either by dragging or cutting and pasting, but also a general unresponsiveness. Skype also generates rucks of errors if you try and run it (but this doesn't really surprise me :))

Symantec's RegFix turns up nothing.. and I'm running out of ideas (though I've now installed AVG to give me some protection).

So.. some questions:

1. Am I at the point of reinstalling Windows? If not, what will actually fix these things.. because whatever I roll back isn't fixing it so far.

2. If I do reinstall, does anyone have any clues about fixing my inability to move files first? I'd really like to dump a load of stuff onto an external drive before I do so.

3. If I can't do that, how much will I lose when I reinstall? Emails & web settings? My Documents? From memory, I think my Windows CD is a half-decent Dell one which offers more than the option of a nuclear reformat.. though I haven't dared fire it up yet ;)

So sorry if this is a repeat from other threads - it just seemed others have had bits of this experience without the same combination as me :)

Many thanks for reading!

TP

birdface 14:24 14 Jun 08

There is a conflict between Norton and SP3.click here=

Tim Page 18:25 14 Jun 08

Yeah - I did the SymRegFix (but it said there were no issues), then uninstalled both Norton and SP3.

Still got a knackered PC though :)

Thanks for thinking of it, though

bluto1 21:19 14 Jun 08

In view of the conflict between Norton and SP3 consider uninstalling Norton. You will need SP3 if you want Windows Updates.

Tim Page 21:35 14 Jun 08

I'd already done that, and it hadn't initially worked.

However, I have since run a full scan with System Mechanic. Although it didn't throw up anything which looked obviously related, upon restarting my Network Connections were back, I could cut and paste files again, and the threats to restart had gone away.

So as things stand, it's looking OK. So I've now cancelled my Norton subscription (which was due to renew next month!). I'll see how I get along with AVG.. and maybe load SP3 again when I'm feeling brave!!

Thanks for your reply!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…