SP2-Yes or No?

Pedlow 20:35 09 Aug 05

I am yet to install SP2 on my machine. I am running Win XP Pro. I use ZoneAlarm's Firewall and AVG Anti-virus, along with AdAware SE Personal and also Spybot Search & Destroy. My PC runs like a dream and rarely gives me any hassle. What is the general consenus on here regarding SP2? i.e. should it be installed or not? Also, can the ZoneAlarm Firewall be used instead of the SP2 Firewall once SP2 has been installed?

Thanks.

€dstowe 20:49 09 Aug 05

It is unwise to run your computer without all of the essential updates - including SP2. All of your current software should carry on as before. Problems with failed SP2 installs are due to the system being corrupt or faulty in which can a new install of the whole system is needed anyway.

Jackcoms 21:19 09 Aug 05

I'm surprised that there are still people out there who are apparently 'fearful' of SP2.

Before downloading/installing do some basic PC housekeeping - run complete AV and anti-malware scans. Clean the crap out of your system with click here Defrag the PC and, before installing SP2, come off-line and disable your AV program.

BigRik 21:25 09 Aug 05

As €dstowe says, you really should have SP2 which in itself is an essential Windows update.

And yes, your ZoneAlarm firewall can be used instead of the SP2 firewall. Once you have installed SP2, just go into your control panel, click on the Security Centre icon, and turn off the Windows firewall.

mattyc_92 21:27 09 Aug 05

The only thing to worry about is your firewall, anti-virus, etc...

Uninstall these before you install SP2, as there CAN be problems. Just reinstall them afterwards.

bamfiesler 21:27 09 Aug 05

I, too, was hesitant after hearing tales of hardware not working. Just create a restore point and do it. SP2 you CANNOT do without.

Strawballs 21:58 09 Aug 05

If you were to buy a new copy of xp home or pro you cannot get it without sp2

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:00 09 Aug 05

SP2 is worth it for the security patches alone.

switch off windows firewall and install ZA your other anti spy packages are an excelant choice and work well in SP2

the only harware to not work correctly was certain motherboards and prescott cpu combinations but a patch to cure the problem was released long ago.

Les 22:05 09 Aug 05

I have almost the same setup as you Pedlow - the only difference as far as I can see is that I'm using the Home version of XP not the Pro. My computer was running OK and I too was wondering if I should 'risk' putting SP2 on it. I had the disk for months before I finally 'bit the bullet'!

In the end I did the same as bamfiesler and proceded with the job - much to my relief - no problems at all.

DieSse 22:43 09 Aug 05

And note that there are quite a number of essential updates after you've installed SP2

Stuartli 23:08 09 Aug 05

If your XP system is running smoothly there should be no problem installing SP2 - create a System Restore point prior to the installation and, as others have suggested, close down any open programs or running applications or utilities first.

If you do, by any chance, need to remove SP2 you can do so via Add/Remove Programs but my bet is that you will wonder why you didn't do it long before...:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…