SP2 updates XP Home

Shellshock66 08:15 16 Jan 07

I am currently runing a computer with Win XP Home and Norton Internet Security 2006. I have noticed in the last week or so that I have an update in 2 parts "SP2 Security Updates" that seem to want to install every time I switch on the machine. They appear to be the same updates every time. I have every time installed them as per instructions. It seem as though something is going round in a loop. Any ideas as what to do

Genius1 14:16 16 Jan 07

Run Microsoft Update (or Windows Update if you have the older version) and install all high priority (usually critical) updates.

Shellshock66 22:50 16 Jan 07

Followed your advice I still get message to instal updates even after I have already done so!

Genius1 10:30 17 Jan 07

Run CCleaner (click here) and then try Microsoft Update again using this link: click here.

CCleaner is a free utility which deletes your Cookies and History caches etc. Be careful when using it - you can select what to delete.

Genius1 10:32 17 Jan 07

Turn off Automatic Updates before you do my suggestion above. This may be interfering with your attempts to update. Also, don't have any other windows open when you're updating if at all possible and obviously make sure you're using an administrator account.

Shellshock66 13:46 17 Jan 07

Followed your advice to the letter still no change at all as soon as updates are intalled within a minute the shield comes up again wanting to install the same updates

wee eddie 13:50 17 Jan 07

When you downloaded the updates from click here

Did you wait until it had completed its Download & Installation procedure?

Shellshock66 20:21 17 Jan 07

I am on cable broadband and I did wait until ccleanerb was installed I then run it and cleared out junk etc then I used to suggested link on to MS to update as per on screen instructions

wee eddie 20:50 17 Jan 07

to download and install later or some such.

When you went to the M$ Update site and ran the checker for Express, what volume did it suggest you download?

You then enabled the Express Install? Did it run through both the Download and the Install Screens?

Then did you reboot your PC and revisit the site and confirm that there were no other Updates to Download?

Shellshock66 09:49 26 Jan 07

I have just followed your advice I ran the MS checker for Express and I said I required the 2 following updates MS Windows XP MSXML 4.0 SP2 Security Update (KB927978) and MS SQL Server Feature Pack MXXML 4.0 SP2 Security Update (925672).I Then enabled the Express Install and went through both the download and the Install Screens. According to 'Your Results' Successfull.
I then rebooted my computer and on revisting the site I was told that I required the same updates!

Shellshock66 13:40 26 Jan 07

Update been onto Norton they reckon it could be spyware causing the problem even though I am a registered customer and have paid them for there software they would like to sting me for £27-£47 to fix the problem!
If this is the cause can someone reconmend a suitible spyware program to sort out the problem

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now