SP2 Update Disaster

Borgman 07:26 01 May 05

SP2 Update disaster

Can anyone help? I thought that I would upgrade to SP2…all seemed to go well until windows rebooted…!! It then came up with the error “Could not find or corrupt C:\windows\inf\biosinfo.inf”
I have gone to the XP site on Microsoft and found the instructions on how to recover your computer if your setup program is not completed successfully, click here
but this does not work.

VoG II 08:01 01 May 05

Restart, keep tapping F8 before the Windows screen (should) load. Select Safe Mode with Command Prompt from the boot menu. At the > prompt type

%SystemRoot%\System32\restore\rstrui.exe

to launch System Restore. Pick a date before the failed installation.

Borgman 11:18 01 May 05

Cheers, will try that when I get home. Will let you know how it goes

dogtrack 12:01 01 May 05

Borgman 15:49 03 May 05

Well tried above, will not let me boot into safe mode or any other item after F8. it starts loading files and gets to the bios bit and comes up with the same error.
Found a bios error on microsoft's support, but that will not work as the fix is from the F8 function to.

Does anyone know if I copy the bios file from another HD i am running on the same computer and then copy it to the location the non operating system is looking for it...would that work?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:26 03 May 05

The good copy of this file will be in the I386 folder, this folder may be under C:\windows\i386

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:30 03 May 05

It will also be on the XP CD under i386 but in a compressed form.

Boot into recovery consul direct from the CD at the c:\ prompt type (the letter of your cd drive d:\)

d:\extract biosinfo.in_ c:\windows\inf

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date and features: Google Allo is…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…