SP2 Security Flaw

mcds01 09:42 27 Aug 04

Oh dear. Windows XP Service Pack 2 promises to raise the security bar for the sometimes beleaguered operating system. Unfortunately, one of the new features could be spoofed so that it reports misleading information about system security, or worse, lets a malicious program watch for an opportunity to do damage without being detected.

click here

CurlyWhirly 12:11 27 Aug 04

It is inevitable that hackers will look for vulnerabilities in Windows XP as it is very popular.
I probably wouldn't be affected anyway as I use a McAfee anti-virus and firewall and I can tell at a glance whether they are on or not by the colour of my McAFee Security Centre icon oin the Windows taskbar.
If it is red they are BOTH on and if black then one or both are off.

Since installing SP2 yesterday the only minor niggle I have is that when the anti-virus is disabled it still shows in the SP2 Security Centre as being ON.
The strange thing is that when my McAfee firewall is disabled SP2 picks this up and displays firewall as OFF in SP2 Security Centre!
CW

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…