SP2 as recommended by powerless

tonyx1302 13:31 25 Sep 04

I have just got my SP2 disc courtesy of this months PCA and have spent an hour or so looking at the SP2 forum and noting advice before installing. I am going to use Powerless's suggestion and go autostream via his excellent link.( Thanks powerless )
My two areas of concern are,1. In the list of things needed to install SP2 is CD writing software... I haven't any installed on my XP Pro B/B pc, so is there a free prog. that I could use that would be OK to use for the installation? "2. What is ISO and what does it do. I have read various definitions on both forums but it's all a foreign language to me. Could someone please explain, ( Jack & Jill language please). I also looked in Google but even more confused.

Many thanks for any help

Tony

Stuartli 14:01 25 Sep 04

I can't understand why you should think you would require a CD writing software program (burning program) to install SP2 - a CD or DVD-ROM drive yes.

In fact Windows Media Player has a modest burning program but it is better to install something like Nero or EasyCD Creater.

ISO (ISO 9660 in this case) is the standard for converting compact disks' contents into CD/DVD image files and is achieved through burning programs such as Nero.

bvw in bristol 14:12 25 Sep 04

click here

{AC 5004} Nero (OEM Suite 1) DVD and CD copying software for use with CD and DVD recorders

SVP Price: £3.49 / €5.11. Prices include VAT.

{AC 5097} Nero (OEM Suite 3) DVD and CD copying software for use with CD and Data recorders
A version of Nero that includes lots of extras aimed at customers who will be using the software for DVD writing.

SVP Price: £8.48 / €12.43. Prices include VAT.

Worth a look, at those prices anyway :)

JonnyTub 14:15 25 Sep 04

by "In the list of things needed to install SP2 is CD writing software" do you mean you want to slipstream xp and sp2 onto a disk, in which case you will need burning software as xp's is not up to scratch for burning iso's, download a fre copy (trial version) from nero's website and if you like it, buy it.

I'd also suggest contacting powerless as i'm sure he wouldn't mind explaining a thing or two about it in layman's terms.

tonyx1302 15:42 25 Sep 04

Thanks for your replies.
Stuartli. On the slipstream site click here as per powerless link the overview says items needed to instal SP2 include 'cd writing s'ware'?

bvw. Thanks for the info and will check out the site.

Hi JonnyTub. I am obviously very confused! I thought slipstreaming is a prog. that makes installing my PCA cd of SP2 easier. Is that wrong. And yes J.T. I will try and contact through the forum as you suggest.

Thanks everyone for your interest and help. I will leave it open in case powerless is out there today

Tony

Djohn 15:51 25 Sep 04

Slipstreaming is not required to install SP2 just insert the SP2 CD and install.

Slipstreaming is to add the SP2 update to XP and make a new CD that contains both as a seamless program. If you require the detailed guide from Powerless then you will find it here for the time being. click here

tonyx1302 16:06 25 Sep 04

Thanks Djohn. I'm obviously trying to make things complicated. I didn't realise it was that simple to install SP2.

Tony

powerless 17:17 25 Sep 04

Hers some free stuff to burn iso's: click here [not used it myself but know people who do]

Also click here pre sp2, scroll down for download link.

Djohn i think answered your questions?

Stuartli 17:51 25 Sep 04

Your Wanadoo link doesn't wanadoo...:-)

By the way, don't forget to set a System Restore point just before you start the SP2 installation (make its file name and date obvious what it represents) and to close down all running programs, utilities etc.

tonyx1302 19:54 25 Sep 04

Sorry for the delay in getting back but I have just successfully ( it seems ) loaded SP2. I thought that it would be fraught with problems to download but it literally idiot proof. Thank God

Thanks everyone

Tony

P.S Thanks Stuartli I did as you suggested and set a System Restore. Good reminder

Stuartli 11:02 26 Sep 04

Hopefully you won't have any problems with SP2 but, if the worst comes to the worst, you can revert to the System Restore point and uninstall SP2 from Add/Remove Programs.

I've had it installed for about a month now and apart from an occasional niggle - usually not being able to get into some websites' registration pages - had had a smooth ride to date.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…