SP2 partition will not boot / start up Windows

CLONNEN 07:06 05 Jan 05

My computer has 2 hard drives :

80gb contains Drives C,D and E (relating to Windows ME, Windows XP SP1 and DATA partitions)

200gb contains Drives H and I (relating to Windows XP SP2 and SPARE partitions)

Windows ME and Windows XP SP1 are starting up okay but Windows XP SP2 will no longer boot up.

I get an error message about System files being missing and to run the Recovery Console.

Something about \Windows\System32\Config\System

Unfortunately I cannot figure out what exactly it wants me to do in the Recovery Console - Can anyone throw any light on the subject?

Maverick81 10:12 05 Jan 05

I have seen this before, part of the registy hive has been deleted and this particular registry section is crucial to Windows working correct. I am affraid there isnt alot other than a re-installation that cures this....you could in theory at least run a system restore in dos

Do you have a bootable CD or floppy disk ? something with a bit of good old dos....is your hard drive NTFS or FAT32 ?

Cheers, Mav

temp003 10:16 05 Jan 05
  temp003 10:37 05 Jan 05

You can actually do Part One of the article without using Recovery Console, since you have a multiple boot with XP SP1.

Just boot into XP SP1, and create a tmp folder somewhere on the computer (say on D drive). Move the H:\WINDOWS\system32\config\system, software, sam, security, default files to the tmp folder.

Then copy the H:\WINDOWS\repair\system, software, sam, security, default files into the H:\WINDOWS\system32\config folder.

Restart and select XP SP2. According to the article, you should be able to boot into XP SP2. Then do Part Two of the article.

If this is still complicated, or does not work, reinstall XP (repair installation) on to the XP SP2 drive. You will need to reinstall all Windows updates (including SP2). If you take this route, it may be a good idea to create an XP SP2-slipstreamed CD from within XP SP1 first, then use the SP2 CD to do the repair installation. That would save you reinstalling SP2.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017