sp2 install problem

patso 22:41 18 Oct 04

help.i have posted this message in the sp2 forum but can any one in the helproom tell me why i cant install sp2 from the disc.when i try my pc starts extracting files then stops and goes into disc check mode and says one of my disks needs checking.i have let it do this fuiiy but when its done my pc reboots and when it starts up again nothing is installed and i have to do it all again,but each time its the same result.any help appreciated thanks.im running xp home

alan227 22:45 18 Oct 04

Is this a disk from Microsoft or a downloaded disk?.

patso 22:57 18 Oct 04

alan its the free disc from pc advisor

alan227 22:59 18 Oct 04

Is your XP home a legal copy.

patso 23:00 18 Oct 04

alan i have to go now somrthing has come up.please feelfree to offer advice as i will read later.ok thanks again

THE TERMINATOR 23:04 18 Oct 04

I think your question has been answered....T

VoG II 23:07 18 Oct 04

Added to my "black list".

patso 13:14 19 Oct 04

alan yes my xp home is a legal copy and vog i think you have the wrong idea.i have posted a few questions on this site and always had sound advice to help me as i am a beginner at pcs.i have posted my system on this site which is a max data pc which i have only purchased 6 months ago which came with xp home installed and all the programmes i have are legal just for the record ok.ps i had to rush off last night to an emergency .i hope this explains things for you vog as i am sure you might have had to leave a session at some time for whatever reason.thanks very much for the help

buscrew 13:26 19 Oct 04

I had problems installing SP2. I contacted Microsoft and their answer was SP2 should always be installed in Safe Mode. When I did this it installed in 6 minutes, without further problems. Perhaps you can try safe mode, and post back for further help if required.

patso 13:40 19 Oct 04

thanks buscrew.its good to know theres someone there to help.can you tell me how to do this as i am a complete beginner and dont know how to use safe mode.thanks again

buscrew 13:48 19 Oct 04

Reboot your PC, and continually tap the F8 key until you see a black screen with white text, offering options, select with the up/down keys the option to boot into safe mode, and hit enter. Don't be alarmed at all the info scrolling up the screen, just let it start accepting all the warnings about safe mode. When you reach the desktop, insert the SP2 CD and away you go. If thr CD does not auto start go to Start/run and type D:\setup.exe where "D" is your CD Rom Drive letter. On completion reboot and all should be well.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…