SP2 install

dawsonc 14:55 30 Dec 04

I have downloaded the upgrade from the MS site, but when I install I am returned a message saying that the "Install failed". The threads on here suggest that my copy of XP may not be legal, but I bought the PC preloaded from a (previously) reliable source in good faith. What can I do to either legalise my XP or negotiate this obstacle.

Stuartli 15:06 30 Dec 04

Contact the supplier first - if no joy contact Microsoft by telephone and explain the circumstances.

You should then be guided through the activation process.

JIM 15:10 30 Dec 04

dont know what's going on with your OS.I know if you run an over the top install from your supplied copy of XP you will find out if legal when your asked for product ID num, followed later with reactivation.

You may also have a better chance to install SP2 after if all goes well.

CurlyWhirly 16:41 30 Dec 04

If you want to find out whether your copy of Windows XP is LEGAL then go to the Microsoft website and type in "Windows Validation Assistant" in the Search box.

After running it you SHOULD get the following message (I did):

"Thank you for running the Windows Validation Assistant, it appears that your Windows product key is valid.
This is a strong indicator that your operating system is genuine, however the Windows Validation Assistant cannot make a final determination."

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac