Is SP2 Firewall better than Zonealarm

PhiltheFragger 08:02 26 Aug 04

Have been using Zonealarm for ages, no problems.

Considering getting SP2

Which option is best?

Will SP2 misbehave if I switch off its firewall?

CurlyWhirly 08:12 26 Aug 04

I have just downloaded and installed SP2 and though I am still finding my way around it I know for a fact that Zonealarm (and most other firewalls) are BETTER than the Windows firewall as it DOESN'T offer outbound protection.

I think what this means is if (for exampe) you have a keylogging trojan on your PC the Windows firewall DOESN'T stop it from 'phoning home' with your passwords, etc where as Zonealarm WOULD bring up a warning box with an option to block the connection if properly configured.
CW

VoG II 08:13 26 Aug 04

SP2 firewall is still only one-way (inbound). I would stick with ZA.

When you install SP2 you should be prompted as to whether to disable its firewall.

Djohn 09:48 26 Aug 04

Not downloaded SP 2 yet. Will later today but thought one of the upgrades to the firewall was to make it a 2 way one?

VoG II 09:52 26 Aug 04
  Djohn 10:01 26 Aug 04

That's strange though. one of the main selling points of the SP2 package during recent advertising was the fact it would be a 2 way firewall.

Sort of anti-climax now because that was the main reason I was interested in it. :o(

powerless 10:13 26 Aug 04

It is a 2 way firewall.

But comparing it to third party firwalls it does not stand a chance. Third parties have much more to them.

SP2 Firewall does throw up warnings when apps call out [not all] and you are given options. But when you compare that with thrid parties...SP2 Firewall sucks!

Philwane 11:25 26 Aug 04

I have SP2 firewall turned on and I am still using Sygate firewall I have not had any conflicts yet

LANDCRUISER 15:12 26 Aug 04

I have installed SP2 & turned their firewall off & gone back to my Norton firewall,all well at the moment

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…