sp2 firewall

johnnyrocker 10:43 13 Oct 05

since upgrading to sp 2 i have been having poor p2p connections, the advice was to turn off firewall (also advised here as it is incoming only)i have switched it off and for a day or so i had a little icon at the bottom of the screen with a greyed out shield (presumably indicating my firewall is of) today i noticed it missing so i checked my settings in control panel, in security centre it says it is on, when i check it in my network connection it is off, which is correct please? (btw i use sygate)

johnny.

SANTOS7 10:55 13 Oct 05

(btw i use sygate), if that means you use sygates firewall as well you cannot use two as they will certainly cause conflict..

MAJ 11:00 13 Oct 05

"i checked my settings in control panel, in security centre it says it is on, when i check it in my network connection it is off, which is correct please?"

They are both correct, johnnyrocker. The Security Centre is showing that Sygate is active. The Advanced tab > Settings button in your Connection is showing that Windows Firewall is turned off, as it should be when you have another firewall installed.

johnnyrocker 11:03 13 Oct 05

thanks for clearing that up for me folks, i shall just have to look elsewhere for my p2p issues as it is decidedly poorer since sp2 upgrade.

johnny.

gudgulf 11:10 13 Oct 05

click here

There is a link to a tool to patch SP2 in the above.

Windows SP2 limits the maximum number of simultaneous connections you can have when online to 10 by default......which can cause a lot of problems with P2P programs.

The above tool resets it to a much higher figure.XP pre SP2 did not have any limit at all. So if this problem occurred since you upgraded to SP2 then the simultaneous connection limit is the likely cause.

CurlyWhirly 18:34 13 Oct 05

[quote]Windows SP2 limits the maximum number of simultaneous connections you can have when online to 10 by default[/quote]

I *don't* use P2P but I am curious as to the reason why this limit was introduced with SP2?
Is it a security enhancement I wonder?

gudgulf 20:46 13 Oct 05

I used to have a good link about this but can't find it now..........The general idea was to reduce the speed at which "zombie" pcs could spread spam/trojan laden emails.Quite conveniently it can slow down the P2P programs.

It effectively does this by reducing the number of peers that you can connect to at any one time.If you are web surfing at the same time it does have an effect.

I use Bit Torrent to get game mods and updates and the occasional free movie like the StarTrek parody in click here so applied the patch.......I don't think it has made much difference.I believe it really hits those people who are doing multiple searches/downloads more...........but it certainly does not stop the P2P programs completely.

A bit more information click here and a Google of "SP2 and P2P" will reveal all.

CurlyWhirly 21:49 13 Oct 05

Thanks for the explanation ;0)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5