SP2 Failed Install - Can`t Start Windows

Taff36 08:13 26 Mar 05

I attempted to install SP2 on a machine and at the end of the process it reported a fault. I pressed OK to remove the update but when the computer restarted it wouldn`t reboot to Windows.

I have an XP Pro Disk and I need some suggestions on how to get things back to normal before I attempt a reinstall of SP2.

1.6 Ghz AMD Athlon, Motherboard ECS M825VXX 3.1
and Maxtor 6E040L0 Hard drive.

Diodorus Siculus 08:15 26 Mar 05

Boot with the XP CD and try a repair - click here
How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install

VoG II 08:21 26 Mar 05

Automatic Recovery if SP2 install fails click here

Taff36 08:57 26 Mar 05

Thanks for those links. Read them both and there`s a bit of conflicting advice. I`m going to try the MS Knowledge base first I think because it is closest to the cause of my problem.

Taff36 10:33 26 Mar 05

Following VoG`s link to the MS Knowledge base I managed to restart Windows XP but the service pack was not uninstalled. I have tried two different methods to remove it. 1) Using the command prompt 2) Add/Remove programmes.

Both result in an error: Data Error (Cyclic Redundancy Check)

Any thoughts?

Taff36 11:09 26 Mar 05

I understand the error message is to do with corrupt or damaged data so should I go for a reinstall of SP2 over the top of the existing install?

VoG II 11:12 26 Mar 05

Some other things to try first Taff36, click here

Taff36 11:20 26 Mar 05

I can see from the first few paragraphs that I would have been in even deeper trouble if I had! I`ll report back.

Taff36 12:41 26 Mar 05

No Luck there I`m afraid Vog. Followed it all to the letter. Going to try Dio`s solution. Having reread it the article suggests that by repairing the XP installation it will delete SP1 & 2 requiring a re-install of all the updates. (This avoids the recovery console route) ........

Taff36 13:30 26 Mar 05

Diodorus`s link appeared to have worked OK but Belarc seems to think SP2 is still installed. Going to have a think about that till tonight.

VoG II 13:35 26 Mar 05

Right click My Computer, Properties, General tab. Does it say Service Pack 2?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017