SP2 and activation

Taw® 10:23 27 Sep 04

I have also put this on the SP2 forum.
I recently installed win xp home. Before activating I thought I would install SP2 disk from ms but it wont let me. Does xp have to be activated before I can install sp2? If yes can I install sp1 without activation. Obviously I want to ensure I am secure before going on the net.

ventanas 10:32 27 Sep 04

Probably, because SP2 checks your product key for validity. You need to have SP1 and SP1a installed before going online to activate. There is no problem with them.

Diodorus Siculus 10:34 27 Sep 04

I installed XP with SP1 on my laptop over the weekend. Then installed SP2 and connected to the net to activate it.

So it seems that you can run it for the 30 days without activating, regardless of whether or not you install sp2.

I also had my anti virus program on a usb thumb drive along with latest definitions and Sygate Personal.

Diodorus Siculus 10:36 27 Sep 04

Does xp have to be activated before I can install sp2?

In short, No

Stuartli 11:21 27 Sep 04

XP Home issued over the past year or so should already include SP1.

Taw® 20:08 28 Sep 04

Just to update and close. Looks like my cd player was at fault not reading the disk properly. took my HDD to another comp and did as Diodorus Siculus had done all went well but on puting it back into my own comp the machine started to boot then flipped into a blue screen and rebooted. Problem may be a faulty power supply or damaged motherboard so I am in the process of elimination. Just goes to show how far the problem may be away from the origin. MAny thanks folks for your time

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…